Why 80# Cardstock?

First of all, I’m not looking for setting recommendations, so this doesn’t need to be in BtM…

Does anyone have insight as to why Team GF chose to provide settings for 80# cardstock over other more common weights?

I’ve been to Joann, Michaels, and (shudder) Hobby Lobby in search of 80# stock, but while all three have have scads of 65# and 110#, I’ve yet to find any 80#. Amazon carries big packs of #80 in white, but I’ll never need that much…

Yes, I can experiment and figure out the appropriate settings for the common weights — I’m just curious why they might have chosen 80#?

What am I missing? :thinking:

9 Likes

Well it’s not divisible by 42 so I’m at a loss as well.

13 Likes

I have no insight into why. I remember that they asked for some tests and I, too, had a bit of trouble finding that specific paper. I think I finally bought some at Michaels. My tests found that the Proofgrade settings were not that good.

I found these settings lots more helpful than the 80# Proofgrade settings for the various papers that I have. Somewhat Comprehensive Testing of Settings for Cutting Paper and Cardstock

10 Likes

Honestly I’ve used those settings on whatever cardstock I have, and they’ve worked. Yes I realize there’s a difference between them, but once you’re beyond thick paper - and before you get to chipboard, the cardstock settings generally work pretty well for me :slight_smile:

That being said 80lb is likely the most popular for things like school projects where the 65lb is too lightweight and the 100lb is overkill. Looking at Staples by options, the order is 100, 65, then 80 - so it’s not like it’s a huge outlier!

For samples, you might try hitting up a paper store. They’ll likely have sheets they’ll either give you or have a sample pack of.

9 Likes

so 80# is the most common weight you’ll find in office supply places. it’s the most common business weight (or at least it used to be, i’m much more of a specialty paper guy nowadays).

but…

i don’t know that it’s really that common of a crafting weight, which is why you probably weren’t finding a lot of it at craft stores.

if you want 80#, hit up staples, office depot, etc.

14 Likes

That explains it, thanks!

The GF being primarily a crafting machine, especially the Aura, I’m suprised they focused on #80

6 Likes

I’m sure it’s whatever they had sitting around the office when they decided to try putting out some standard settings for cardstock. As others have pointed out, it’s a common weight for office use.

8 Likes

I make cards, and use one of those large packs of 80# Neenah cardstock. (100# for card bases).

7 Likes

well, remember the aura didn’t exist when they came up with their paper settings.

and, in the end, # ratings are very unreliable for gauging thickness. there’s a different measure that’s closer to being accurate, GSM (grams per square meter). if you are curious, what that means, you divide the weight of a sheet of the paper by the number of square meters in the sheet to calculate the GSM.

where as “pounds” are calculated by the weight of 500 sheets at the “basis” size (i.e., the size of the original parent sheet it was cut down from). so if the basis size of a sheet is 26x40, then the weight is 500 sheets of 26x40. but if the basis size is 26x20, 500 sheets of the same thickness paper would be different. that’s also why you might have 100# text weight paper and 100# cover paper, which, obviouslly, are both very different thicknesses.

15 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.