Wifi 5GHz band

I’m glad I’m not the only one who tolerates this stuff. I’ll tell you, once it starts interfering with the Glowforge prints, it’s going to get resolved pretty quickly!:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I have found with most of my clients that the built in wireless equipment from the ISP (Cable or DSL) is really poor.

I had been replacing the wireless/firewall/router with 3x3 and 4x4 MIMO B/G/A/N/AC units, but the prices had crossed the $250 levels. Biggest problem has been that the replacement units still set low and attempting to also put in wireless extenders for larger homes (and bandwidth demanding users) tended to have less than acceptable results.

I finally found components that helped filter generic ad streams, allowed placing the wireless unit up high, monitor traffic patterns and can also do wireless extenders for larger locations. Draw back is that it does require a little bit of patience on end users to configure the equipment.

For those who are looking to get better (stable, solid and powerful) firewall and wireless, take a look at Edgerouter X Firewall and UniFi AP-AC Lite or UniFi UAP-AC-Pro. The wireless units can be programmed to “encourage” 5 GHz capable devices to go to the 5 GHz wireless, while giving 2.4 devices more room to do their thing.

Because of the 3x3 MIMO functionality, devices that support N or AC wireless are moved to less congested antennas and keep the dropping/interference of the 2.4 GHz device from losing connectivity.

In my testing, I have the AP-AC Lite with over 20 wireless devices connected to it and not getting the failures that either the low-end wireless/firewall/routers or the ones from the ISP would get with 4 to 5 devices. The AP-AC Lites can also be used as wireless extenders without having to get ethernet connections/wiring to areas that are too far away from where the internet modem has been installed.

7 Likes