Wild Things Light Box

Welcome to the forum.
For legal reasons, we are not allowed to discuss settings for non Proofgrade materials in this section of the forum. Please search settings in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum. There are many posts with helpful information for people using paper, cardboard, cardstock, etc.

2 Likes

Excellent choice of subject for a project like this and so well executed! Nicely done :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice work

2 Likes

The lighting truly capture the magic of the story. It’s beautiful!

3 Likes

the real question, and more precisely the ONLY question is… Has the Wild Rumpus Started?

3 Likes

Absolutely breathtaking!

2 Likes

That is really beautiful!

2 Likes

This is an awesome idea for a project. I am an art teacher and I want to do this project with my students. Our school has a brand new GF in the STEAM Dept. I am stumbling trying to figure out what to do. Do files need to be SVG in order to make cuts? Would 90lb drawing paper work? Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
Files need to be SVG or PDF. Here are some things to read through to familiarize yourself with the basics of using the Glowforge. I don’t know what sort of paper would work best, but the Glowforge is capable of cutting everything from regular copy paper through hardwoods.

4 Likes

Hello. So some of us here have the technical how part down and some have the art part down. A few lucky souls have both. Those of us who only have half the equation have to learn the other half (lucky you’re a teacher :grin:)

For a lightbox it is a combination of technique and materials, artwork or file and some electronics work with the LEDs. There are also shadowboxes, which are pretty much the same thing but without the LEDs. A search of the glowforge forums on either term will deliver a lot of threads. I’ve read here that there are facebook groups and maybe forums dedicated to these techniques and there are files for sale, or possibly free for non-commercial use.

Pretty much, yeah. Inkscape is a free vector editor (thinking schools here), plenty of information in the Glowforge tutorials on it as well as the greater internet. A shadowbox is pretty easy to make with only a basic understanding of Inkscape. I did a nine layer one a couple months ago in a couple hours. I used maple hardwood and am still figuring out how to color the wood so I like it. Needless to say, I fall on the technical and not the art side of things.

I can’t say, however, the stiffness of the paper and how it is mounted is going to be a big factor in success. What I have learned is that paper work on the glowforge has its own unique methods and best practices. Search Beyond the Manual for paper. People do some amazing paperwork, but they do it with a different approach to settings than when working with wood or acrylic.

Is a STEAM dept STEM plus Art? Or was that a typo? I’m just happy the art department is getting in on it. There is art being made with lasers, the glowforge is easy to use, so why confine it to just the STEM enthusiasts???

3 Likes

Yes, STEAM is STEM with Art included. When the position was created a few years ago it was called STEM but the teacher came in and immediately changed it to STEAM.
This year I am co-teaching a Art and Technology class for the first time. The possibilities we can do with the GF are exciting.

6 Likes

Hi! This is beautiful! What kind of leds did you use? How are they powered? I have some basic 3-5 volt leds and wonder if they would be powerful enough to light it up.

1 Like

Amazing work!! Great Job!!

1 Like

amazing work, are you able to share the layer for reproduction

Gentle reminder that asking for designs is against forum guidelines.

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

There is plenty of information in this thread on how you could design your own, however.

2 Likes

Please don’t misunderstand my question, I am more that happy to pay for the work….

Please understand the answer, It is enough socially awkward to have to respond that it has been decided that you can be banned for asking.

Thank you for the advice, I’m new here and didn’t realize.

2 Likes

Most everyone has asked the same thing when they were new. It’s an easy restriction to miss in the TOS. GF didn’t want the forum to turn into a place where folks feel uncomfortable sharing what they did because they find it hard to say “no, I don’t want to share the design because I spent forever doing the work and may sell it on Etsy” or “no, I don’t want to share it because I don’t want to see hundreds of them on Etsy being sold by people who didn’t do the work to create it”.

If people are open to sharing or selling they volunteer that information vs being solicited by other users. Free sharing is done over in the Free Design category. It is a bit awkward when you post a project to have to post it in both categories but it is GF’s forum so they get to make the rules :smiley:

5 Likes

YOU GO GIRL! Absolutely stunning! Great use of layers and that is a book that was read to me, then read to my kids and one day I know it will be read to theirs. How do you feel about the velveteen rabbit? It would make a great Collectible gift Series :slight_smile::wink: nice work!!

1 Like