Window Exhaust Port Made on GF

This is fully modeled, but I have yet to receive GF yet in the mail so the design is not currently implemented in the physical world. Constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.

This is an exhaust port designed to vent fumes out a window from the GF through the included dryer ventilation hose. The finished product will sit inside the window sill and allow the fumes to easily pass into my backyard. All parts are designed to be laser cut or are easily purchased from Amazon.

I’ve taken suggestions written in comments for similar projects and incorporated them into this the best I could. For instance, I’ve included a sliding draft blocker to stop backdraft when the GF is not in use. I’ve used neodymium magnets to make coupling/ decoupling a simple process.

I’m considering adding an internal fan when I get around to the second version. When I add it, I’ll also make sure that the fan plugs into the wall and is smart/ arduino controlled.

I based this design of the exhaust port in:

View a 3D version at:

https://a360.co/2MSzwjJ

(it can also be downloaded there to be used with fusion 360)

I know this is old news. Others have been making these ports and releasing their designs on this community forum for several years now. What I’ve done is only a slight variation on the old, nothing new. I’m new to the community though and thought I’d post my 2 cents anyway.

That being said, I’m very satisfied with the design.

Step 1: Created the base sketch based on the size of the duct, the width of the window, and placement of the magnets,

Just a simple sketch. I made sure to keep track of useful parameters as I went.

I measured the width of the window (from the inside of the track) to be 34.75". Outside the track, the width was 36".

The neodymium magnets are from FindMag:

# 1.26’’ D x 1/8’’ H, Pack of 8

# 6X3mm, pack of 150

Step 2: Extruded basic parts

-2 window boards, inner and outer

-2 square attachment pieces, which fit together. An activated carbon filter fits between them. These will later be screwed together.

-1 draft blocker, a board that slides behind the square attachment to stop a slide down and block backdraft while the GF is not in use. It is fastened to the bottom by magnets. It also is suspended by magnets while the GF is in use. It needs to be held up so that air can flow beneath it.

I then added a handle on the draft blocker.

The square attachment slides into place and then is secured by wooden clips on the side and curved holders on the bottom. That way, the magnets don’t have to do all the work and even if the hose is jostled, the square attachment will at most shift and then snap back into place.

Step 3: Designed a model of the dryer hose, a model plastic 4" duct to wall connector, and a model 4" Louvered Vent Cap

The duct to wall connector can be found here

This was one of the easiest parts to design.

Next was the louvered vent cap. The version I found on amazon is brown like wood and has a metal screen inside.

The louvered vent cap can be found here:

The full 8’ hose included for comparison:

Step 4: I rotated the duct to wall connector to avoid the screw holes conflicting with the magnets

Step 5: I added activated carbon filters between the front and back square attachment blocks and along the edges of the slot for the draft blocker

Not much to say here. I just measured the thickness of the activated carbon filter I had to be close to 1/20" when not compressed, and assumed that a 20% compression should be sufficient (down to 2/50") to halt stray fumes from rising into my room.

Notes:

• Some holes will need to be drilled (this is mostly for the 6mm x 3mm magnets)

• The magnets will be arranged N - S, N-S to ensure max holding strength

• I may add a thin steel ring within the magnetic field of the circle of magnets if needed (Though I doubt it after feeling how strong the neodymium magnets from FindMag are)

• The draft blocker has magnets on its bottom and on its side, near the top. This is to seal it when it is closed, or to suspend it while it is raised.

• The square attachment is meant to smoothly slide down and lock onto the other magnets. I imagine some force and initial momentum will be needed to carry it into place and avoid locking onto other magnets.

• Fillets were applied to the handle to make it smoother on the sides and to ensure a clean fit

-The hose and square attachment should be able to easily slide out without removing the draft blocker

• Extra space is made between each of the parts, but they should smoothly fit into each other once the parts are glued/ screwed.

• It isn’t too important, but I added rubber edges that will be cut and glued on:

• Here are some dimensions at a glance:

• Exploded model snapshots:

Conclusion and DXF FILES

As I mentioned before, all these parts (with the exception of the louvered vent cover, duct to wall connector, magnets, screws, and glue) are meant to be laser cut.

By default, all are cut from .25" material.

InnerAttachmentPiece.dxf (7.0 KB)

This is a permanent fixture that holds magnets for the square attachment to slide onto.

InnerWoodPanel1.dxf (2.8 KB)

Left side of the wood panel inside room

InnerWoodPanel2.dxf (2.8 KB)

Right side of the wood panel inside room

InnerWoodRubberOutline1.dxf (2.2 KB)

Left rubber outline. This is for both inner and outer wood panels.

InnerWoodRubberOutline2.dxf (2.2 KB)

Middle rubber outline. This is for both inner and outer wood panels.

InnerWoodRubberOutline3.dxf (2.2 KB)

Right rubber outline. This is for both inner and outer wood panels.

lowerSideHolder.dxf (2.2 KB)

These are the rectangles which make up the lower side holder. There are Three on each side for a total of Six. Two on each side are cut out of 1/4" material. One on each side is cut out of 1/8" material.

OuterWoodPanel1.dxf (2.3 KB)

Left side of Outer Wood Panel (from the perspective of someone standing in the room and looking at the wood panel fully installed)

OuterWoodPanel2.dxf (2.8 KB)

Right side of Outer Wood Panel (from the perspective of someone standing in the room and looking at the wood panel fully installed)

squareAttachBottom.dxf (7.2 KB)

This is the lower half of the square attachment. It holds the magnets.

squareAttachmentFilter.dxf (2.5 KB)

This is cut out of an activated carbon filter material and fits between the two square attachment pieces

squareAttachTop.dxf (2.6 KB)

This is the top half of the square attachment piece. The duct to wall connector is screwed into this piece.

squareHolderBaseRubber.dxf (2.2 KB)

The rubber at the base of the square holder.

topSideHolder.dxf (2.2 KB)

The naming may be confusing, but this is the top part of the wooden clip on each side of the square holder. This holds the square attachment in.

bottomHolder1.dxf (2.3 KB)

This is the left bottom holder for the square attachment piece. There are two bottom holders cut out on each side.

bottomHolder2.dxf (2.3 KB)

This is the right bottom holder for the square attachment piece. There are two bottom holders cut out on each side.

draftStopper.dxf (3.3 KB)

This is the draft stopper that slides down and blocks a backdraft.

draftStopperHandle1.dxf (2.9 KB)

This is the thinner, longer portion of the handle on the draft stopper. This should be cut 3 times out of .25" wood and then stacked.

draftStopperHandle2.dxf (3.5 KB)

This is the shorter, fatter portion of the handle on the draft stopper. This should be cut 2 times out of .25" wood and then stacked.

draftStopperRail.dxf (8.3 KB)

This provides the pathway for the draft stopper to slide up and down.

draftStopperRailFilter.dxf (2.2 KB)

This is the filter cut out that goes on each side of the draft stopper rail.

22 Likes

That’s pretty impressive. Nice writeup.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m super excited to be part of the GF community. I can’t wait till my GF arrives.

1 Like

Very impressive work. Amazing detail and thinking things out. Your ability with Fusion will do you well in creating designs.

There are however a few points where the universe might slap you around a bit, as indeed it does to all of us. I had a number of designs that did not survive contact once I had the Glowforge. You might notice the many complaints about how fast the compact filter fills up that has a surface face of about 18 inches square and compare that area to the area inside a four inch circle. Even the grill of the exhaust port that is an array of about half inch hexagons is problem enough that it requires regular cleaning and its removal high on the list of modifications once the machine is out of warranty.

One of the first things I noticed when I got some one inch square by 1/8 neo-magnets was that they came with 1/8 inch plastic spacers and even then were hard to remove and if allowed to touch it took the intervention of a plastic knife to start to get them apart.

I think those are the biggest issues I have noticed that you might want to think about. There are others that folk here might notice but your attention to detail and ability with Fusion will serve you well as you discover such aspects of the universe that diverge from the ideal.

Ps. If you have not already done so getting a similar skill in a pixel graphic program like Gimp will help a great deal as well.

4 Likes

I expect to see great things from you when you get your machine. Awesome write up .

4 Likes

That’s gotta be one of the longest and most comprehensive write ups/descriptions I’ve ever seen on here. To be honest…I’m not even slightly interested in the subject matter, but I know there are many who are…so good work and welcome to the community (when you get the actual machine, that is). I forsee some great projects coming from you.

5 Likes

Wow, for first version that is amazing. You’ve not thought about this much, have you? :wink:
I like how you have incorporate the louvers for the vent.

One thought with the sliding door–will it clear your window sash when you slide it up? Rotating it so it moves along the side may eliminate any interference with the sash, since the idea is you don’t ever need to move the sash to make this work, correct?

And include foam in your Bill of Materials–you’ll want a nice seal between the window frame & sash, and some foam insulation tape, or cut insulation pipe to ensure no exhaust gets blown back thru any gaps, as well as air leaks in general if you leave it in place… And be sure to put a nice weather proof finish on any wood you use in case this window ever gets rain on it!

4 Likes

Thanks so much! Yeah, I fully expect I might need a round or two of testing in person to hammer out the final details of the design. You raise an excellent point. The activated carbon filter here might only last a week (or two, optimistically?) And would need to be changed frequently. Therefore, I ought to make it easier to switch out the filters than it currently is- which requires unscrewing the square attachment plates. The good news is that sheets of activated carbon filters are very cheap and can be easily cut to shape on the GF so it won’t be a strain to replace them regularly.

As for the magnets, time will tell. If need be, I can simply lower the number of magnets in the design later. On other similar projects, everyone was worried that the arrangement of magnets might be too weak. I’m guilty of being an all or nothing kind of person.

I have some skill in photoshop and inkscape. Those will be my go to programs for graphic editing. I might consider learning gimp too.

3 Likes

Excellent points! Thanks so much, I’ll definitely keep that in mind when my GF arrives and I’m assembling this.

1 Like

Wow. One of the all time great writeups. Thanks so much. An excellent design.

3 Likes

I would be surprised if it would last a job much less a day. The Glowforge exhaust is around 200 CFM at a minimum and so your paper would have to pass that 200 CFM or cause smoke to find other paths out the side of the lid and front openings that are supposed to have negative pressures. The longer the smoke cools near a surface the more the gunk will build up on that surface this includes fans and the windows passing the laser power from the tube to the work as well as the inside of the lid and lid camera all of which lower the effectiveness of the machine,

If you know someone who smokes (especially a cigar), It would be interesting to have them try and blow smoke through those filters. I suspect that the result would be eye-opening. Even the screening alone should be causing problems by the day or week depending on what you are cutting unless you are doing a lot of stones or tile,

2 Likes

Congrats on having your Glowforge on the way. Nice write_up. Wow!

I took the easy way out, and installed a louvered vent when we installed new basement windows a few months prior to arrival. Grabbed a blast gate and insulated vent hose to replace the one which accompanies the Glowforge.

Your work is very impressive.

4 Likes

So should I opt out of having a filter?

Thank you. I was at a loss of what to do before reading your post.

1 Like

Just be aware that arrival may be a bane to epic write ups.
Once you are actually making things, moving to the next project becomes priority over admiring the last.
So many things to try, you really absorb some time for awhile.

Just sayin (we have all been there - done that - doing that).

4 Likes

In pointing out how mean Murphy can be I was trying to point out what sort of sacrifices he demanded to keep from enforcing his law. There are many paths that include filters and no filters but in every case that 200+ Cubic Feet per Minute is about the minimum leaving the Glowforge that will not leave you staring through layers of smoke.

Early on I got an industrial filter that had a 500 CFM rating but did not realize that the intake was 12" and not 4" and that has been an issue. However, when I have had a smoky Glowforge it has done a good job of clearing the air.

I also got a much cheaper Vivosun fan that at 190 CFM that was insufficient working alone but excellent in increasing the total volume that my new machine with a working exhaust fan removes the smoke so fast I have only a tiny percentage of the buildup as before.

1 Like

Murphy is the cruelest.

1 Like