second thing i made on my glowforge was a vent for my window. i started with a cardboard version that sat beside an expandable screen. it was a temporary fix, but better than the hose just hanging out the window.
i made it to fit within the accordion panel next to the a/c unit. i was going to make it out of draftboard with some acrylic on the outside, but didn’t have any on hand (draftboard or patience). i did have some clear acrylic lying around from another project and figured it’s going in a window right? might as well be able to see out of it
Without a self moving flap it may be a good idea to make an escutcheon on the smoke button that says something like “Open The Gate”.
I imagine the first time or two you forget will help with this step also.
Reminded me that in our RV, I made a wooden tag with ‘TV’ in very large letters that hangs on the handle to raise the roof antenna. When all is in order, I can see it hanging there. To make sure I lower the antenna for traveling (which is very easy to forget), I move the tag over to the gear shift where I can’t miss seeing it to remind me.
that’s funny you should mention that - i actually made an escutcheon for that very purpose! i made it at the same time as the clear vent - i knew i would forget it open it up at some point otherwise. eventually i will write a post with some pictures of that too
just yesterday, I was cutting a few of the S-hooks someone posted here, on scrap PG acryllic, and… yep… I forgot the blast gate… and got irritated that my 'Forge was leaking air out the front sides of the door. Tested it with paper to confirm it was actually blowing into my office, took a video, and then I looked up and saw the gate was closed, and the air had nowhere to go, but back at me.
Yep, I thought… Wow what a dummy I am! Glad to say that once the gate was opened, negative pressure reigned again.