Wood quality

Best wood for engraving a photo?
Should the paper on the wood be removed first

Hey welcome to the forum.

We’re all willing to help and give you guidance, so let me be the first to point you to the best resource we have here: The forum search.

Your question has been asked many times, and you can read up on that and so much more. In fact, it just came up very recently, here’s the thread:

Now as for your questions about engraving techniques, that’s one of the biggest and most complicated topics out there. There are lots of threads, but I think most people will tell you that yes, removing the protective masking tape first will give you the best results.

You’ll probably find this very interesting:

Anyway, your questions don’t have a simple answer, I’m afraid the best advice I can give you is to experiment, test, and search/read the forum as much as you can stand it, there’s so much good information here.

Here’s a good getting started post:

Specifically for this project, I’d recommend searching the forum for “engraving tips” and reading through the tips and tricks section for anything that points you in that direction.

6 Likes

Hi there, and welcome to the community. Put on some good music and approach your first engravings as nothing but experiments. Like any good experiment, document, document, document! Your first effort may be so good you want to reproduce it…or it may be a total mess that will work on some other medium.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.