Woodchucks Sale

I’m not sure if this is the same Woodchuck’s as on Amazon, and my order hasn’t arrived (or even shipped) yet, but Woodchuck’s Wood is having a pretty good sale on small, thin boards. A 6 x 24" piece of 1/8 walnut, for comparison, is $3.50 right now as opposed to ~$9 for the same size board at Green Valley (who has some of the best prices). You have to factor in shipping, but I thought it was reasonable enough with the sale prices. And they have thin boards up to 9" wide (I bought a bunch of 9x16" boards). The sale includes walnut, red oak, hard maple, cedar, and knotty pine from what I saw.

Happy to report back on quality once it all arrives.

13 Likes

I have bought some pen blanks from them before and the quality was great. I ordered some more from them yesterday and included some boards…

I think you will like them…

1 Like

Great. Thanks! I bought 2 dozen boards, so I hope so. :wink:

1 Like

I ordered 20 walnut boards…

1 Like

i grabbed some 9x18 walnut and some 6x36 cherry.

2 Likes

Let us know how the Cherry works out. I got some Red Oak and made two end tables and they were really nice…

1 Like

will do. i’m curious. i wish i could have gotten the cherry in 9" wide, too. but 6" isn’t bad.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I ordered some walnut and hard maple. We shall see… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

How much wood could a woodchucks ship if a woodchuck got tons of orders from glowforge forum readers lol :thinking: I think I’ll order now…

I just got my https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-PureBond-Aromatic-Cedar-Plywood-Project-Panel-Free-Custom-Cut-Available-2083/204311254
smells good, now to think of what to make…
also got
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-PureBond-Walnut-Plywood-Project-Panel-Free-Custom-Cut-Available-1727/203552966

6 Likes

I saw @DesignsByPhil had those posted on his site. How did they arrive and do they work well? I was thinking of ordering some to test out.

2 Likes

Ordered some 9x16" walnut from Woodchucks. Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

1 Like

Thank you. I hate my money anyway.

4 Likes

You can’t take it with you and this way you leave a little memory of yourself behind…

2 Likes

The motto of wedding planners and funeral directors.

3 Likes

I had some 1/16th walnut arrive yesterday. its pretty good. there was a higher sap ratio then I was hoping for, but walnut grading allows for it, so I can’t complain about that. the material was wrapped in plastic tightly with thick cardboard packaging. it is natural and unfinished, so it is not perfectly flat. I will have to plan to use hold downs when cutting it. I think it will work best as a layer combined with another material, or nice stock for making solid walnut plywood. out of all the stock I looked at, there was only one that I saw that likely was pinched by the sander, as it had a drum sander sized depression across it.

3 Likes

this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. if you mask and engrave, you can get a nice contrast with a higher sap ratio. i did some south american walnut and my engraves were nice and dark, really contrasty. but the masking material felt like it was covered in dried out syrup.

7 Likes

Nor is the :proofgrade: stuff from what I got. Got the suggested magnets and such so I can use the :proofgrade: stuff. Everything else I had been using from local sources has been flat and great. Still have not heard from their shipping dept on if they tracked down the issue. LOL.

Let me know if you ever want to find a loving home for it. I’m available any time.

1 Like

But I hate it, so I want to find it an abusive home. Know any of those?:thinking:

Wait a minute. Is it green? I despise green! I’ll abuse green money until there’s nothing left.

1 Like