Update time! Here is the ring .svg that I finally pulled the trigger on for a full scale test run, with a few post-run modifications. I made the stroke thicker so you can see them here:
The cut pieces (bonus points if you can see what I changed between this test and the .svg above):
Mid-assembly. The four alignment nubs on the outer ring’s middle layers actually helped wedge the letters into place! You can see this in action between the “D” and the “E.” I’m going to revisit the .svg and make these a legitimate part of the design. don’t know if I’ll put them between every letter, but I’m certainly tempted to.
An assembled ring. There is an alignment nub somewhere in these letters but it can’t be seen with the letters inserted.
An assembled ring. I foolishly left off the portion that attaches this ring to the other rings, otherwise it’s great. Turns easily in one direction with a satisfying “click,” but locks up tight when turned the other way.
With four friction-fit bars, the solution drawer kept great alignment. Eager to see how it scales as I add more rings.