Workshops/Workspaces

:thumbsup: No doubt.

1 Like

My sister and nephew both work for a company that makes commercial light fixtures and i have a couple 8 bulb fluorescent fixtures that cost me $5. Each. Hard to beat that deal but I’d love to replace them with led.

1 Like

Posted my new GF space elsewhere; but I’ll add my shop, too, to this reply. It’s my creative space, and I’ll still use it.

Under my heap of cardboard, I’ve got stacks of tools for tile, sheetrock, and paint. The lattice behind that is a vertical can rack that rotates. New in top, old out the bottom. The cardboard stack obscures my pile of toolboxes. The workbench is a huge mess right now. Lockers are some of my favorite storage.

We just couldn’t feel right about jamming the glowforge into a space that’s already full. I feel a keen need for more space.

Expanding the office - full server rack and all the IT odds and ends. Current photo of today’s progress. The 4" dryer vent is ready for the Glowforge.

I want more space for my tools and toys. Winter gets real cold when my projects need to leak out into the driveway.

10 Likes

You have a good landlord, mine, took his lightbulbs, and made me buy new fixtures to replace the ones he wanted to use in his house! :grin:

Our workplace is going through an upgrade to LED. Our production areas & warehouse are finally well lit. Unfortunately, the shop I spend most of my time in is now darker than before. Several years ago I brought in lamps from home to brighten up my toolbox area, looks like I won’t get to bring them home anytime soon.

2 Likes

I’ve found the color rendering index (CRI) is much more important than color temperature. Most cheap LED bulbs have a CRI somewhere in the 80s. That means the spectral distribution of wavelengths is very uneven. Although it looks white, it makes colored objects look very unnatural and unpleasant.

There are some inexpensive high-CRI bulbs out there that I’ve been happy with (e.g., http://smile.amazon.com/Hyperikon-9-5-Watt-Dimmable-Lumens-4-Pack/dp/B00SZJW0DS/). They are 90-CRI and $3.99 each in a four pack. The only problem with these is that they tend to buzz slightly when used with a dimmer. I use them all over my house.

If you really want the gold standard of LED bulbs, spring for the 95-CRI SORAA brand ( http://smile.amazon.com/Dimmable-LED-PAR30-Candlepower-Halogen/dp/B00PAUYD94/). I use 20 or so of these to illuminate my artwork at outdoor art fairs, and my bright colors really snap. Makes a huge difference in sales.

9 Likes

So quick update.
Walls are now plastered and size coated. We are off to Berlin next week and then he’s going to put in the pipes for the underfloor heating system and screed the floor.

8 Likes

Berlin is amazing. Worth it just for the new station. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to it.
Things on the list are.
Berlin philharmonic (him indoors).
Stazsi HQ. (him indoors).
Bauhaus Museum (him and me).
Holocaust memorial (Him and me).
Jewish museum (ditto).
TV tower (friends birthday party).
Zoo (kids)
Art installation on the wall (everyone).
Beer (him)
Currywurst (him).
And the old photobooths which they have been restoring in the East of the city (everyone).

4 Likes

I’m not an emotional person, as a rule, but walking through the museum under the memorial itself completely overwhelmed me.

Go for a stroll to the Reichstag, IIRC it’s just across the road from the memorial, past the Brandenburg Gate, there are names carved into the flagstones/curbing of people that died trying to jump the wall.

Berlin was my city of choice to celebrate the arrival of the new millennium. Unfortunately it got shouted down in favour of Boracay in the Philippines.

1 Like

After some consideration of the space required for my GF and attendant materials, works in process, completed items etc. I’ve come to the conclusion I’m going to need two of these …

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4000000/tardis-exterior-tardis-4029155-1280-1024.jpg

17 Likes

I always keep a bottle of curry ketchup in the fridge. Best hot dog condiment around.

3 Likes

Him indoors went to Oradour-sur-Glane last year when he was working in France. Probably the only time he’s ever wept in public. He said it was seeing the smoke staining on the walls of the church that set him off. He knew that some of that smoke was literally all that was left of the people who died there.

3 Likes

Update on my space.

Here’s what the Glowforge will see from its table/workbench.
IT man is still setting up his servers, but the room is [mostly] finished. Trim below the ceiling should allow for either network cable or LED lights bounced off the ceiling.

13 Likes

Out of curiosity, why does the crown molding dip down like that left of the door?

Here’s my back production area in my office suite. It houses my two lasers, vinyl cutter, shipping station, and two computers…and a frig and microwave…:smirk:

This is the reception area
And I have two offices.

19 Likes

I could be wrong, but this appears to be a panoramic shot which distorts things.

2 Likes

Basement space. Ceiling had to go around venting.

@Xabbess, yes, my hands are shaky when doing panoramic; but @erin was right about dipping down. Since the trim is also a channel for networking or lighting, I had to work around obstructions.

3 Likes

Interesting. Then it was ME who wasn’t seeing things correctly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Looks rather Greek inspired. I like it!

3 Likes

@cmreeder if that is a fully configured server rack you need to make some serious considerations to cooling in that room figure at least 3btu per watt. And what I am seeing in that picture you may have some serious problems. Then again you may not fully configure that rack

(worked many a year in a large data center)

@smcgathyfay wow you have a larger operation then I assumed good for you!

1 Like

This is for my existing company Trendy Tribals, inc.
Www.Trendytribals.com has been around for 15 years.
Just adding the laser gifts and cutting services recently to change things up a bit…lol

4 Likes