It’s kind of funny… but since getting the GF, I’ve realized that I don’t have enough rulers. The “my first project” Glowforge Founders ruler is a great initial project, but I found it lacking:
- It’s only 6" long. I really wanted 8" so I could measure bigger projects.
- It’s only inches. But lots of the online projects measure stuff in millimeters. So I want both.
- It’s made of wood – but I want something a little more flexible.
So… I’ve been making rulers out of “Fun Foam” (that cheap, 2mm thick foam from Hobby Lobby and Michaels). It comes in a variety of colors. (Shown here with PG medium draftboard for comparison.)
To make these, I engraved the text and lines. I cut the outer edge.
- Engrave: Use variable power from 1-10 for discoloration. But can go up to 20 for depth. These rulers use 1000/20/340 (speed/power/LPI, or in GF lingo: 1000 zooms, 20 pews). Engraving at 225 LPI shows raster lines, but 340 doesn’t.
- Thickness: 0.076" (2mm).
- Cut: I used 500/60. At 500/50, you might have to gently tear it out.
- Color: Red, Green, and Blue all engrave to a nice dark color. (Blue foam is dark, but engrave is still high contrast.) Yellow never gets very dark. There is foam in white and black, but they don’t discolor; they just emboss.
- The kerf (amount that melts away from the laser) is about 0.025". And it WILL shrink back a little in the minute after cutting. Having said that, my SVG includes a border with the kerf so the final rulers are the correct size. (This is not a guarantee – don’t sue me if yours is off.)
Ruler 8in Foam.zip (16.5 KB)
ps. Does anyone else read “girlfriend” when they see “GF”? My GF is jealous of my GF.