Yellow kangaroo leather bifold wallet (first leather project)

My Glowforge Pro arrived in Australia last week, and I’ve had a little bit of time in the past few days to play around with a few of Proofgrade and non-Proofgrade materials.

I ordered some veg tanned kangaroo leather, and used a template posted by @csader (https://community.glowforge.com/t/design-critique-leather-wallet/13502) for the basis of this bifold wallet, adding some engraved designs to the inside and outside.

It took a little bit of time to figure out the saddle stitching, but I’m really pleased with how it’s all turned out!

I held the leather down on the crumb tray using a few small magnets, and made sure to do all the engraves before the cuts - which turned out to be good thinking because the leather curled up quite a bit when the cuts were made!

50 Likes

This is gorgeous! Great first leather project.

4 Likes

Very nice indeed! I love your fearless friendly fox!

4 Likes

Nice project. I am so happy that there are Glowforges in Australia at long last.

6 Likes

Looks great! I love the fox design.

4 Likes

Yahoo! It’s great to start seeing projects out of Australia after the long wait. Your wallet came out so nice, with such great stitching!

4 Likes

Thanks, and so am I! I came close to cancelling my order a couple of times, but I’m very glad my patience paid off.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve stitched things by hand before, but have never worked with leather so it took a while to get the technique right… but it turned out even better than I’d hoped!

1 Like

Wow! This is great! And that color…extraordinary.

4 Likes

What a beautiful color! Also, the fox is such a handsome fellow. Congrats on finally getting your Glowforge … very happy for you!

3 Likes

Pretty! I wonder if kangaroo leather smells as bad in the GF as cow leather…

2 Likes

Stunning Piece :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I haven’t tried cow leather yet, but will be getting a bunch of offcuts soon, so I guess I’ll be able to compare. I was venting out the window but there was definitely a bit of a burnt skin smell to it… nothing too horrendous though!

1 Like

Just lovely! Kangaroo leather is the best for thin, string stuff

1 Like

I’m so glad I decided to get the yellow (I almost passed it up in favour of an extra piece of natural) the engraves contrast fabulously against it!

My foxy friend has been making all kinds of appearances lately, from oil paintings to lasers!

2 Likes

Great work Casey, a real result ! Impressive stitching too. I can see a great side hussle happening, right there. Pocket money :slightly_smiling_face:
If you’re happy to share suppliers, maybe you could post where you are sourcing your leathers from?
There’s a thread here, specific to Australian material sources, whilst we wait for the GF Shop to start exporting proofgrades south of the equator:

Just curious, is there such a thing as fox leather? It might be cool with a roo engraving design on it :yum:

2 Likes

I was thinking Dingo on Roo leather. I was carving a Lion on Zebrawood, or perhaps a Koala on Eucalyptus?

1 Like

Beautiful work!

Absolutely! I’ll find the details of where I sourced my roo leather, and hop on over there to share.

3 Likes

that’s just like something I’d want to buy (but I won’t cause I have no money lol). Awesome job

2 Likes