Yet Another Laptop Stand - 2 Piece - 1/4 Inch/5 mm

I was playing today and have been meaning to make a new laptop stand. The cardboard one I’ve been using is fine, but I want something different.

This will not be the last laptop stand I design and post here.

A couple things to start. This design works best for 1/4 inch material and thicker. Don’t use 1/8 inch, the 2 piece design really isn’t sturdy enough for my liking (although it will probably be fine).

The slot is .197 inch/5 mm

Have fun. It looks good in Baltic Birch. Post a photo if you make one :slight_smile:

Laptop%20Stand%2025%20slot

Added photo from below:

52 Likes

Is there a bridge piece missing? :thinking:

Nope, it works great with just the 2 pieces. We tend to over complicate things :slight_smile:

That is why 1/4 inch is recommended for this design

2 Likes

I thought that too, and then realized the two pieces are meant to connect and form an X shape. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ahh, thanks!

@hansepe, thanks for the share! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s rocket science. :wink:

3 Likes

Or maybe this time it isn’t :stuck_out_tongue:

@PrintToLaser - I almost put in the comments that I’d upload assembly instructions if needed :smiley:

6 Likes

1/4 inch Baltic Birch:

10 Likes

I have a design like this made from 1/8" acrylic, and it’s a little wobbly but it works fine. I love the ‘x’ design because you can easily pack it into a laptop bag. But I agree - quarter inch would be much more rigid…

5 Likes

I have it in 1/8 inch too and decided to do one in 1/4 to share for just that reason.

I’m playing with some other designs too but this is hard to beat for travel and packing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like the portability aspect. Would love to see what other ones you design. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I too thought there was a missing piece.

3 Likes

I added a photo in the write-up to help people understand better. Thanks.

1 Like

I love this design, and I’ll tell you why. I need a table top stand for my hammered dulcimer. I cranked out a design in Illustrator but wasn’t really happy with it, so I never cut it. I think a scaleup of this design would do much better, and the portability would be a great advantage as well.

Thanks so much for the design!

8 Likes

I hope that works out. This design is useful for a lot of things, that’s why it’s so common :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh this would be lovely with a hammered dulcimer, I would enjoy seeing your final build.

Great work @hansepe and thanks for sharing your clever design.

5 Likes

Nice! Love the simplicity! Thank you very much for sharing your file.

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind but I modified your design a little bit I was looking for a lower profile.

Laptop Stand-01

9 Likes

I’m thrilled you found it useful. Looks great!

3 Likes

what is that item to the left of the Mac? Thanks for sharing your modification of the file.