Zippo Lighter Engraving

Engraved a Zippo lighter today, my 5th item on the GF.

Measured depth/height from inside floor to topside of crumb tray honeycomb.

Removed the crumb tray, then zero’d out my calipers, and measured the thickness of my standoff including the Zippo (0.204" in my case).

Taped the Zippo in place, then taped a template cut from regular old manila folders (0.040" thick).

Imported my artwork, and set the engrave to:
750 speed / 8 power 225 LPI 1 pass - For Manila Template Focus (You won’t use this, but 0.244")

Then after nudging around the artwork to get it centered on the Zippo, I removed the template and bit the bullet.

First pass was:
750 speed / 8 power 225 LPI 1 pass - Test Engrave (still no going back though) Focus (0.204")

Looked good, though the soot/smoke from burning off the matte coating had me worried that it was going to be messy

Did a repeat of the first pass, looked better.
750 speed / 15 power 225 LPI 1 pass Focus (0.204")

Reset params to the following:
750 speed / 15 power 340 LPI 3 Pass Focus (0.204") Engrave Params

Took about 14 minutes for the final high grade engrave.

79 Likes

A friend of mine has an old one he wants to engrave. I told him to wait until I find out how to do one first. Thanks for sharing. I still may have to adjust because his doesn’t have a finish on it.

1 Like

Very nice! :grinning:

2 Likes

Looks amazing. I love it!

1 Like

I just ordered a load of Zippo’s from Amazon and will soon be testing on chrome, brushed, & polished. However look around people have had excellent results with vinegar soaked tissue, mustard, & CRC Moly spray, and slow 100 speeds @ Full power.

7 Likes

Nailed it!

2 Likes

I have been doing some gun bits lately (all steel) and I have found that I just crank the speed and power and let it go. I cant overpower it and eat the metal so who cares?

These are very thin coatings though and Your zippo looks much thicker

Hooyah EOD

2 Likes

Really nice work.

Excellent finish!

1 Like

Thanks for the specs. Nice engraving.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Have you tried to engrave the regular,silver/chrome Zippo Lighters?
Do you mind letting me know what the settings would be for them?

I’ve been searching everywhere for settings that could work on these lighters, but have not found much. They would need to be coated with CerMark, is this correct?
Thank you for your time, I’m totally new to lasers so any tips and tricks would be very much appreciated :smiley:

Did you use snapmark?

Snapmark didn’t exist a year ago.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to engrave the regular brushed or chromed Zippo’s.

Cermark does work, though pricey. There are some other aerosol based items you can spray on, such as spray on Graphite (I think). I have some Cermark, purchased but have been working 6 days and nearly 70 hours a week for the past year. Not much time to do the things I actually enjoy.

Nope. No snapmark used. Just lots of very care pre-burn alignment and testing with manila folder taped to the top.

Sometime thereafter, it came out as a limited release to the “special ones” that are super active. Wish GF would just let us tick a box opting in for pre-release beta testing of features instead of whomever is ultra-active on the forums.

1 Like

This looked so cool I had to give it a go. I drew a friend in Secret Santa and all I really know about her is that she loves flaming hot Cheetos. It turned out pretty good.

Since the design wraps around the edges a bit I noticed that the finish under the matte paint is copper on the edges for some reason, but bronze on all of the faces so it looks a little weird, but still classy. I thought maybe it was just some sort of of finish that wasn’t burning off at the edges because of the falloff from the focal point, but I tested the other side doing defocused, and very low power passes and always got the same result.

18 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. I think I will play around with this and see what comes out of it. I really hope we are all able to use snapmarks in the future.

Good luck to you on your work journey, I hope 2019 will be peaceful !

I’m trying to engrave my Zippo lighter but it isn’t engraving anything even after I input the same settings you did

You seem to refuse to find the appropriate settings for your lighter. Like I keep saying to you, test until you find the appropriate settings for your application. You haven’t told anybody which make/model/coating lighter you’re working with. So how would anybody know what settings might work? YOU NEED TO TEST.

1 Like

Please double check to make sure you don’t have a duplicate file. Reupload a fresh file, or drag it directly from your computer folder onto the Glowforge bed. Then use the settings others have posted after using the set focus tool.