11-Layer Geometric Art Panel

Hey all, building from my previous projects I attempted something that was a little more complex with a few more layers. I think this one was overall a success. I haven’t glued everything together as I am planning on painting it first. So that, in combination with some slightly warped plywood, is why the alignment doesn’t look perfect in these photos.

Total cut time on this one was about 3-4 hours.

119 Likes

Wow. Stunning. Can you tell us a little bit about your design process? Do you start with a base and then extrapolate the other layers out as you go, or do you start the design with the entire final effect in mind?
It has an awesome Art Deco effect (to the extent I even know what that is).
Thanks for posting!

9 Likes

I start with a base outline shape and then fill in each section layer by layer. Below is the base shape that I used for this one. The process is pretty time-intensive but it also kinda feels like doodling. I would say that I probably spent 6-8 hours on this design. A lot of that work is also building and compiling all the layers to be cut after the design is 90% complete.

18 Likes

It is beautiful. Will you be painting the layers different colors or all the same color?

1 Like

I will probably paint all the layers on this one the same color. Likely white. I really like the monochromatic look. I could see how a couple accent color layers could also look quite stunning. Perhaps on another project!

5 Likes

I think there is a lot of potential in this stacked layer technique For example imagine if instead of an abstract pattern that it was a 3 dimensional scene?

What a fantastic piece. Wow! With 11 layers, is it getting weighty?

2 Likes

Gorgeous! :grinning:

2 Likes

STUNNING!!!

As a forester, the wood is calling to me, “Don’t Paint Me, Don’t Paint Me” "Please Don’t Paint Me! @tmarsh86 "

15 Likes

Amazing!!!

1 Like

Just WOW! Incredibly impressive. I don’t pick up my pro until later today and you are not making the wait any easier!

2 Likes

Nothing makes that wait easier, except the knowledge that it is coming (and hopefully a LONG weekend/extra vacation time).

2 Likes

Ohmygosh ohmygosh this must truly be something to behold in person. The coloring is also quite intriguing. How did you achieve the different colors throughout the piece? Am I seeing different species of wood or are my eyes tricking me and it’s all lighting?

Anywho, congrats on a very successful project! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Beautiful! Question, do you work on the quarter and then clone-rotate? Also, what software do you use?

Thanks!

Holy smokes, that is just amazing! Your dimensional pieces just keep getting more and more stunning!

1 Like

There is so much of the wood that is cut out during the process that 11 layers is still fairly light. I’d imagine it weighs 2-3 lbs.

2 Likes

Definitely. I’ve seen quite a few paper-cut artists who do this.

Something like this, perhaps?

17 Likes

Yes, but the number of “clones” depends on the symmetry of the design. This one was in quarters. I use Illustrator, and it’s very much a copy/paste/rotate workflow when it’s time to finish out the symmetry.

It’s all the same type of wood (Baltic Birch). I think there are a couple factors making the tones looks more diverse. The layering, combined with the shadowing from the lighting, is definitely in play. I also did not mask the wood before cutting so there are various levels of charring from the laser depending on how close the cuts are to one another.

2 Likes

That looks fabulous! I love the layering. Great job.

2 Likes