Allignment

So if I want to engrave on a 1 inch I have to put something under it?

Yes. You would put something at least 1/2" and less than 1" underneath it. Use the set focus tool before placing your artwork.

Do a forum search on ā€œcutting without the tray.ā€ Youā€™ll find tons of good information and helpful tool files. :slight_smile:

Try this for finding focus height:

The actual distance between the material and the laser head is between 1.4 and 0.9"ā€¦

Iā€™m sorry to hear that youā€™re continuing to run into trouble.

As @dklgood outlined, when utilizing material that is 1", putting a piece of material underneath it so that it is 1.5" to 2" off the floor of the Glowforge bed can help to ensure the material height is detected properly.

I also want to circle back, and make sure we are not missing any of the other snags youā€™re hitting. Are you still running into trouble with engraving and alignment, or were you able to narrow down what was causing the behavior while printing?

This is another good tool to check your material height is in range, it measures from the floor up so you can check your stack outside the GF before you put it in.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/no-math-focus-ruler/

Itā€™s been a little while since Iā€™ve seen any replies on this thread so Iā€™m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.