Ancillary Mode Dial

THANK YOU @timjedwards
This is just plain fun!
I used a font of my hand writing I made a while ago and engraved the text instead of printing. I changed the settings a bit too.

9 Likes

Very nice indeed! At first I thought it was a larger scale as well, and then I realized that itā€™s our hands that differ. :grin:

Is that a shim I see keeping it from twisting? Iā€™m surprised, as someone else reported needing to sand a bit to place the base over the GF button.

Are you saying I have little handsā€¦? :o) You are right. I did sand itā€¦a little too much, so that is a piece of duck tape. Getting it to work was part of the fun. I also mixed the magnets north and south the first time. Yes, I read your tip, but those suckers are tricky. Thanks again!

4 Likes

So Iā€™m FINALLY doing this project this weekend and I wondered when engraving the first piece (maple) if the protection layer / proofgrade sticker will add any significant thickness to the engrave? Iā€™m a wood packrat and refuse to give up any pieces until Iā€™ve truly used as much of the wood as I can. You should see my bones graveyard of proofgrade, plywood, etc. :slight_smile: I found a piece of proofgrade maple that will fit the first cut, but that sticker is right where the buttons go and want to ensure thereā€™s enough of an engrave there.

Itā€™s possible to slowly peel the sticker if it concerns you, but I doubt it would have a noticable affect on a non-delicate engrave.

I lost it at ā€˜Panicā€™. Now I must have one.

3 Likes

That makes a LOT of sense. Iā€™m going to re-cut the inner ring and engrave the text. I cannot for the life of me get the GF to align the circle for cutting. I was going to engrave some dark card stock for white lettering on a black BG, but engraving to the maple makes more sense to me.

1 Like

I engraved the paper ring.

Mine has a ā€œplease workā€ setting.

5 Likes

I use the SVG generator at: http://GearGenerator.com - itā€™s an amazing free tool for making gears, and it outputs in svg format.

4 Likes

@timjedwards is 6ā€™7". We ALL have little hands, compared to him. :wink:

3 Likes

#necrogame

(Did I do that right?)

6 Likes

You so did! :smiley:

3 Likes

I still fiddle with my ancillary setting every time I cutā€¦

3 Likes

I mostly keep mine set to ā€œprecision.ā€

2 Likes

Has anyone put in the Stargate symbols yet? If so Please post a Picture or short video.

Very cool! Thanks for the files.

1 Like

The search function on this forum is really powerful - I just searched for ā€œstargateā€

So far (AFAIK) no one has combined the two - looking forward to seeing it though!

1 Like

I had already saw the Other Star Gate Escutcheonā€™s. But they were not movable like this one was, and I thought it would be cool do join the 2.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great project! Canā€™t wait to see what you come up withā€¦

2 Likes