Annoyed

Why do they close threads? People may have a solution to a problem or may want to comment on something but can’t… It just annoys me.

I am currently stuck on “homing” and I see others have experienced this in the past week or so… from what I can tell it’s due to an update? Ugh. Lovely that I have 3 pieces to complete today that have to be IN THE MAIL today and I can’t even use my machine. :angry:

1 Like

Because each thread in the P & S section is really a help desk ticket and the goal is to resolve issues and close tickets.

You’ve opened your own ticket now so you can comment as much as you want until your issue is resolved.

2 Likes

They close them to make sure that they don’t miss anyone with a real problem who jumps in at the tail end of someone else’s thread.

If you want to keep a topic open for discussion, open it in the Everything Else section.

4 Likes

Well thanks for your reply. It has started up properly now, so I guess my issue is resolved… but another time they closed my ticket BEFORE my issue was resolved. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but support isn’t immediate with GF and sometimes you need an immediate response… it’s just annoying to me that they close the threads… ppl could comment on what has worked for them, etc…

Good to know about the Everything Else section. I’ll remember that. Thank you.

Hello @sarahpassotphotograp,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To answer your question, we only close forum posts once the issue has been resolved or if the original poster has also sent us an email regarding the same issue. That helps us to avoid confusion and duplicate responses. You can find more information on our process here: How To Get Help.

I see that you mention having a previous ticket that was closed before your issue was fully resolved. Our aim is to make sure all customer’s have a path to a working Glowforge at the end of our support process and it looks like we did not meet that on your previous ticket. I sincerely apologize for that error.

I’m glad to hear that the issue you were having today has resolved itself. I took a look at the logs for your unit and it looks like the issue might have been caused by a very bright overhead light that was causing your lid camera to have trouble focusing.

Should you have any other trouble with your Glowforge, please let us know and we’ll be happy to investigate. I hope you have a wonderful evening.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. That big overhead light is the sun, lol! I’ll look into getting a shade for it. Thanks!!

1 Like

:joy: might be the funniest thing I’ve read on here in a while :slight_smile:

Interestingly, or maybe not. Depends on what you find interesting, I guess. We’ve seen this pop up a few times as the seasons change and the sun is in different parts of the sky at different times of the year. It might not be a problem for months, and then as the seasons change and the sun changes elevation and azimuth, it’s now going straight into the glowforge.

3 Likes

Sometimes I use an uncut sheet of Proofgrade as a sun shade. Just leave it sitting on top of the lid.

3 Likes

Ah! Great idea! Thanks!

1 Like

I have a piece of cardboard (actually chipboard that I buy in large sizes and cut down for testing) that is the same size as the lid. When I’m having problems I can lay it on there with a couple of pieces of blue tape holding it to the front handle and I can leave it there when I’m having centering issues. I’ve got LED lights in the basement that sometimes seem to distract the GF otherwise. For some reason it’s a sporadic problem for me (no real sun coming in the basement near the GF as I’ve commandeered the window for my venting hookup). I’ll go months without a problem and then a half-dozen jobs will need the chipboard and then I can take it off again. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think every now and then they might tweak the exposure settings of the camera. Or, at least at one point, I noticed in the logs that the camera had a different exposure setting than at some point before.

1 Like

I’m going to go ahead and close this thread now that the issue is resolved- thanks for sharing your creative sun shade methods!

1 Like