Another edge lit

I finally finished my acrylic edge lit Stack Light… a very long project. I’ve really enjoyed working on it and have learned a lot, as well. I do consider it a success, but the finished project reminds me of finding a blender in a souvenir shop. One thing of many that I’ve learned is that my next one is going to be designed differently. This was also quite expensive, due to the extensive use of PG thick clear acrylic.

it’s 14.5” from top to bottom. The base is 5” x 5” and the 16 upright acrylic panels are each 10.5” long and 4” wide. The 16 panels create a 4”x 4” square ‘tower’ of light. Each panel is engraved with various sea creatures, courtesy of my Noun Project subscription. Many of the ‘bubbles’ are circles cut completely through, which adds some extra sparkle. The panels are free-standing and sunk into the top piece by about 1.5” and held in tightly only by a well-measured square hole. They can be arranged in different ways, if desired.

The base was made of thick Proofgrade MDF, sprayed with matte black paint, with a hole for the power cord and lined haphazardly with some self-stick craft mirrors to help reflect the lights. On top of the box are 2 layers of frosted acrylic and about 7 more layers of MDF, three of which are the frame that holds a clear acrylic panel that suspends the stack of big panels above the box of lights.

This is the 3 layer thick section holding the clear panel

The whole thing is pretty heavy. The part holding the panels is not fastened to the box….partly because I couldn’t come up with a good way to do it, but also, because I need to have access to the lights in case of malfunction.

As many of you know, these edge lit lights are extremely difficult to photograph because they’re so bright…but here goes anyway.

This is the box part of the base with the top section removed, showing the lights and little mirrors inside.

This is it without the lights on

122 Likes

I am in awe of the talent and skill on display here.

8 Likes

Thank you…sincerely…I am honored.

3 Likes

I love edge lit stuff. Even the simple ones trigger my “ooooh, shiny!” response, but this one is just…well, dazzling!

8 Likes

Holy cow! :hushed:
(You, my dear, have been hiding your light under a bushel.)

10 Likes

That’s incredible!

4 Likes

It’s beautiful…even with the light off.:grin:

6 Likes

:blush: I had to look that phrase up. Thank you, Jules.

5 Likes

Ooooooo, magical! Brilliant idea to use the mirrors. It’s a gorgeous work of art and one to be proud of!

3 Likes

Awesome piece!

2 Likes

Wow! I don’t know what else to say, other than Wow!

4 Likes

Quite a wonderful interesting piece!

2 Likes

That is absolutely wonderful! Really well done!

3 Likes

I agree. In some ways, I like it particularly without the lights. It seems like carved glass.

2 Likes

I like the way you did the fish in your “tank”. That was a lot of work, but it looks like it was worth it. Your designs are all so original. You are a great inspiration. :grin:

7 Likes

WOW! That’s gorgeous! I imagine it was a great bit of work. But, from where I’m sitting, it was worth it! You should be very proud of this!

Just thinking… If you were so inclined, you could build in a soothing sounds generator into the base. You know… Ocean waves, bubbling sound effects, etc… Would turn this thing into the ultimate meditation tool!

5 Likes

Just amazing. And beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

That is marvelous! The whole project reflects your design-fu! The acrylic rings around the top of the base are a pro asthetic touch.
I would display it off, and let the viewer appreciate and wow over the details - and then switch it on! :star_struck:

Outstanding work my dear.

12 Likes

I like that idea…I think I will do that. My eldest grandson (Aspergers) will be disappointed that this time I won’t let him take all the panels out and rearrange them as I have allowed with some of my previous prototype stuff. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, David

4 Likes

Well done. That is a lot of work to get this all together. Very inspiring.

6 Likes