Apollo 11 mission commemorative shadowbox

IMG_2709

@hansepe and I collaborated together on a space themed shadowbox about the same time as the Apollo 11 mission 50th Anniversary. We couldn’t resist. There is more in the works, but here is the first freebie. It’s made with 6 layers of proofgrade materials, both wood and acrylic. (Sorry, photo doesn’t do it justice. The black and clear acrylic layers make it very shiny, especially illuminated).

Tips:

• use no fog glue for the acrylic layers
  • careful weeding the flag - it could easily break

7" width version - each frame separately laid out with material suggestions
Make sure you set the NASA logo part that is not engrave, to score. Print respective layers on each sheet meanwhile deleting the other pieces. Then use the back button the restore to show all and repeat with another layer and another piece of proofgrade.

For personal use only as per forum rules!

shadowbox apollo11 7".svg.zip (292.1 KB)

8" width version is a file with the 6 layers on top of one another with fill colors. For those of you who want to resize the entire shadowbox. Open all layers; highlight the lot; lock H and W, and resize.

shadowbox apollo11 8".svg.zip (44.9 KB)

Thanks to NASA not only for spearheading so many missions into space, but for also providing a huge treasure trove of materials in the public domain:

50 Likes

What a fantastic collaboration! Great job you two! (And thanks for sharing it…I might have to make one for hubs, he actually watched the first moon landing.)

4 Likes

I remember staying up with my dad watching a grainy b&w TV. Wanted them to hop out of the LEM “now”. Couldn’t understand what they were waiting for. Stayed up for the full first walk too.

6 Likes

We didn’t have tv yet, so we happened to be at a theme park and watched it there with many people.

3 Likes

I got sent to bed. (Total mistake that I’ll forgive my folks for one day, but they didn’t think I’d understand what was happening.) :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Nice collaboration. Thanks for the share!

2 Likes

I must thank you from the bottom of my space nerd heart!

2 Likes

Lovely job, both of you! I could see this hanging in the Cape Canaveral gift shop (if there is one). Thanks for the files!

2 Likes

Awesome! Nice job!

2 Likes

That is great! I love mixed material uses!

1 Like

It was refreshing collaborating with @hansepe, even though we live several states apart. What I missed in being retired - just working on my own projects, without being able to banter ideas back and forth and editing as you go along - was restored in this project. I guess sometimes I do better interacting with others and it has been very enjoyable.

2 Likes

We so belong to the same club (other than :glowforge:)!!! :star_struck::rocket::heart:

There is one alright… we’ve dropped an entire week’s worth of a wage there many years ago… :crazy_face: Have been back since a few times and try to repeat the same experiment.
Thanks for the compliment!

1 Like

Dang, I saw the coasters first, but this is an awesome pair of projects!
I watched the first moon landing, and my dad convinced me that if I went outside and looked real hard at the moon, I could see them moving around… he thought it was funny that I spent hours trying to see them.

2 Likes

He should have given you a high powered telescope to do so!

1 Like

I was 4, so he found it amusing to tease me, especially since he thought I was a strange kid for being so excited about men on the moon…
May I add one of these to the gift for the NASA museum here? I’ll have to gather materials and work on it as I can, but I’m excited about it.

1 Like

Of course!!!

1 Like

This is awesome. I was born July 16, 1969 when Apollo 11 was launched so it’s extra COOL for me…Thank you so very much
Greg

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on a spectacular birthdate! :rocket:
You can customize the front so it also reflects your birth :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you , If my mom weren’t diseased I would thank her. How might I edit that?
Greg

1 Like