Arcade Cabinet

Last weekend, I finished the arcade cabinet I discussed here:

I’m really happy with how it came out.

I put an old monitor and a raspberry pi (running retropie) in it. I can now play lots of old nostalgic games. I introduced my kids to several games I used to play as a kid. They’re comment was “your games were different than ours, but they are still fun”.

I designed it so that all the parts for it would fit on a GF bed. Although I cut it at the local maker space.

Here’s the front and back views.

There is a panel that goes on the back, but it is not in place right now.

There’s also a panel under the joysticks (so I can slide the keyboard out). There’s also a small panel on the left side, so I can access the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi.

It was a really fun project.

54 Likes

AMAZING…
And… Jumpman?! How cool is THAT!

3 Likes

Jumpman was one of my favorites as a kid. I’ve been playing it on the arcade cabinet, and it brings back so many memories.

Every new level I get to, I go “oh ya! I remember that level”. Some of them make me say things like:
-Oh no, not “Roost”.
-Oh god, not “Freeze”
-“Grand Puzzle 2”, I don’t remember how to do that?

5 Likes

That turned out great! I can’t wait to start building 3D objects.

I like the size and including keyboard storage is a great idea.

2 Likes

Loved Jumpman. And Jumpman, Jr… SREDDAL was always a fun level.

2 Likes

That’s a great project. I thought about looking at the Pi a few years back to make a arcade cabinet, but drifted away before diving in. I have a technical background; is this a very hard project to get the “guts” working?

3 Likes

What front end are you running?

My kids once spent an hour playing Ms. Pacman with each other. And every “classic” game I’ve shown them, they’ve enjoyed. As it should be, “fun” transcends “resolution.”

5 Likes

No, it is not hard at all. It took me about 1/2 hour to wire all the buttons and joysticks. It was all just plugs, no soldering. Installing the retropie was also very straight forward (about an hour to install and configure).

5 Likes

Cool! Thanks. I’m putting that on the list.

1 Like

so baller, dude. this is basically what i’ve been dreaming of doing since i ordered.

3 Likes

I’m using the retropie distribution

I agree. My kids are having a lot of fun with Jumpman, Snow Bros, Pang, Bubble Bobble, Tekken, etc.

3 Likes

You deserve an award for “Best Dad Ever.”

My dad was like, “You want to play with the same toys I did? Go outside and find a stick and a rock!” (Joking, of course.)

8 Likes

Heard of it, but hadn’t looked at it before now. Looks pretty excellent! I’ve got a 1st-Gen Pi, myself (~5 years old now!). Far too slow to do much.

ALL of those are great games. Pang! is one of my favorites for sure.

1 Like

That turned out awesome. Nice work.

1 Like

Nice job! Projects for later file!

1 Like

That turned out great!! :+1::+1::+1:[quote=“polarbrainfreeze, post:1, topic:8771”]
your games were different than ours,
[/quote]

Silly kids…lmao

3 Likes

Stick? Rock? Wow, he was lucky! We had to use great uncle Hieronymous’ thigh bone and a tumble weed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I couldn’t play with those as a kid. The rocks hadnt cool down yet and formed, and single cell organisms hadn’t evolved and organized yet.

10 Likes

You had molten rock? We had to gather space dust and squeeze it really hard.

8 Likes

You had light to find the space dust?

8 Likes