Art- Canvas cutting

When I first got the glowforge I hoped to be able to use it on canvas that I’d painted to make collage effects. Unfortunately, burning heavy metal pigments is apparently frowned upon, so I’ve been experimenting with switching the process around.

Cut the canvas first, THEN paint.

This is a portrait of John Coltrane. Cut the parts, painted them and glued them atop a background that was also cut.

I’m still learning the best way from preventing the fans from disturbing the material during the cut. Magnets help, but I’ve also found using masking tape to secure the edges so air doesn’t get under the piece helps.

Another trick I’ve learned on things like the background that are made of hundreds of pieces that would fall apart on their own it to cut them on a piece of draftboard, then when they’re done cutting use overlapping swaths of masking tape to hold all the pieces in place. You can then remove them all at once. After that you can take individual pieces off and paint them before returning them to the proper spot. When you’re done glue the canvas side down to a support. Let it dry and remove safely remove the tape. (Obviously the front side is the part facing the tape)

Here’s another version of the same design at one quarter the size.
!

And with several of his brothers to show how quickly this can be duplicated

Those look great! :grinning:
(If you’re going to be cutting a lot of fabrics, paper or other lightweight materials - look into using either a Seklema mat or make your own for use in the laser. It holds the fabric or paper down until you remove it - similar to digital cutter cutting mats.)

Very artistic!

Thank you- is the Seklema mat safe to be lasered?

I’ve used it a lot for card stock. It is fine. Heals pretty well if you don’t go over board. Remember to check thickness with calipers to get exactly the right height for good placement.

Nicely done!