Bayonet Lid Box

I trying out all the boxes on boxes.py and did not know what a bayonet lid was. As you can see I figured it out.

Here are the settings to get you started.

The alignment pins are a nice idea, I didn’t have any the correct size, and I did not adjust the size and recut. Just eyeballed it.

Also I finally got a hold of that 1/8 white mdf from HD. Cheaper than draftboard for prototyping.

36 Likes

I found the lid too tough grab…

The maze art is from the built in clip-art on the default lid. The other lids I altered in Illustrator.

30 Likes

I like the looks of that MDF, how does it preform in the GF? Is it pretty on par with the PG draftboard on settings and final piece?

2 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

I was playing with the concept a few years back. But I was engraving half-way through, cutting “ears” and flipping the inside over. There might be some re-visiting the concept in order! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, that’s cool! Never tried one of those. Do you put little tabs inside to form a stop for the turning of the lid?

4 Likes

Very cool, gotta try it

4 Likes

I use the draftboard settings. It isn’t smooth like the whiteboard, it has a slight texture. Also I did not mask anything. The smoke stains wipe off with rubbing alcohol.

1 Like

Yes, it “locks” in place. I did use a bit of beeswax to get it to turn smoother.

The first lid and box was straight from boxes.py, I did not manipulate it at all.

6 Likes

I like that you made different lids. Nice of you to post your settings link!

1 Like

Was expecting to see a long knife based on the title :wink: Love the lids.

7 Likes

First thing I thought of, too.

3 Likes