Beginner in need of guidance

I cannot find anything showing how to cut over lapping letters/words. I’ve cut something fours times already. Please help! I added a picture to show what I mean. This are glued on. Not cut into.

3 Likes

@Jules did a nice tutorial that includes connecting letters: Make a Name Pendant in Inkscape

3 Likes

What design software are you using? The file must be set up properly before it gets to the Glowforge. The tutorial for making the name pendant should help you visualize what needs to be done in Inkscape. Affinity Design or Illustrator have similar steps to be taken. As for the picture you shared, it is not possible to cut the letter T and the script name as one cut because the script name will cut the T into two pieces when the outline of the script name is cut.

3 Likes

The overlapping letters like that are often called a “knockout” design. You’ll need to research how to do that in the software program you are using.

2 Likes

@dklgood asks the right question. The concept will be the same but the steps will be a bit different depending on what software package you are using.

The good news is that you can find a YouTube for this for any of the common SW packages. The names vary by package but the process is called a Boolean derived from Boolean Algebra.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I keep running into Mac issues. I wish I had a windows computer. I can’t download some of the software that others are using. I’m trying to do inkscapes but still
Hitting walls.

1 Like

Affinity Designer works well on Mac. Not free, but definitely worth the investment!

3 Likes

Inkscape on a Mac runs in a “shell”. You’ll have to install XQuartz to use Inkscape.

2 Likes

I did download it. My screen always has a square in the middle. And when I create things I can’t see it. But if I save it and open in glowforge it’s there. I’m sure it is mostly user error at this point and I just prefer to blame my computer.

Here is what my new document screen looks like on my mac.

It is not very hard to set up a template for the Glowforge on Inkscape. I’ll see if I can find the link on the forum for how to do it.

Here is a video for setting up the template. You might watch his other videos as they are quite helpful. Glowforge Template for Inkscape video steps

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll definitely watch it! My screen doesn’t look like yours. It’s close but I have this weird box right in the middle.

Check your Document Properties in the File drop down menu. That’s where you can determine what is seen and not in the artboard/workspace.

Set up the document as a 20x12 artboard. That helps in placement in reference to the GFUI.

In Inkscape for joining different objects, you’ll want to use the Union command after you have converted texts to path. @Jules’s tutorial will get you there.

And a little sneak peak at what I’m working on.

3 Likes

Oh wow, customized cigars! Have not seen that done yet. Report back on how it smells after lasering.

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!