Beta day - five (Fitted Gauge Box)

Apologies.
I just merrily wander off on whatever tangent.
My brain just naturally does that, I have little choice but to follow…

Sorry Josh:rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

For all you know - you just speculated the cure for cancer. Be a shame to delete it from an excess of caution. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course, I am already following up with more research into that speculation.

3 Likes

I sincerely wish you every success. :mask:

2 Likes

Off topic posts can of course be fun, but they will make sorting through old threads difficult when we get our 'Forges and need access to info quickly. I wasn’t trying to single anyone out by the way, I accidentally hit Reply to post instead of reply to Thread. I am accidentally responsible for the 20 or so Gluten Free posts in the Delivery Schedule thread. That one ran away quickly…

5 Likes

Too late! :relaxed:

It’s already impossible, and it’s gonna get worse…bookmark the important stuff. (No other way.)

1 Like

Probably easier to start fresh when the machines come out to the masses anyway.

2 Likes

Except there is a valuable deposit of “how to” and “where at” here that has compiled over 6 months. a lot of that is gold to some of us.

As long as our bookmarks don’t turn into a pumpkin, I guess it would be ok…

4 Likes

This is super awesome. What a cool discovery story! I want one of these computer fans too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! The box is really nifty! Also, glad to learn about the dogbones, all those years of making architectural models and now I know about this technique…
There seem to be some burn marks, so I was wondering if you used proofgrade materials on this project or if you had to figure out the cut setting yourself.

2 Likes

I would have made the box, and used foam for the insert instead of wood.

3 Likes

Nice work!!! There are so many jealous people reading this that just cant wait to get their mitts on their laser printer!!!

For the few of you with beta units, I made a video with instructions on how to use Fusion 360 and Glowforge (we think since we haven’t been able to test it out yet). If anybody wants to try it out and give me feedback I might be able to throw a Fusion 360 t-shirt or some swag your way. I know its not much…but its something :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Wow! I will definitely try out your tutorial as Fusion360 is one of the programs I’m trying to learn. Thanks so much for doing this!

1 Like

I am on my phone so tiny, watched the video this is cool but the motion plan the gf will re do anyway because its just a svg at the end. But… I cant tell from my small screen does the simulation have tool feed rate so that we can kind of anticipate project cut time?.. As we don’t have a gf atm so

Any time investment in learning fusion 360 will be a wise investment. Very hard to master simply because it does so much but you can be sketching out simple parts pretty quickly.

That’s fantastic!

Can this post be used with HSMWorks too?

Yep, our posts work with Fusion 360, HSM Works for SolidWorks and Inventor HSM.

2 Likes

Hey Clone,

yes you can get machine time that is calculated based on the post and you can edit these settings. In this image you can see it will take 1:21 to cut the outer perimeter, cut out the X and etch Glowforge into the model.

Right now its set at 40 in/min and may need to be adjusted to be a more accurate representation. I also realized the Kerf is not right and something we will likely need to edit.

6 Likes

I really like all these features that are available, especially the simulation function. Have been thinking of downloading a copy as an enthusiast/hobbiest bet haven’t done so yet. It seems that Fusion 360 is very popular here for design. Since the only 3D modeling software I am familiar with is Sketchup, I’d like to move into something more robust. Just am not sure. This is helpful.

2 Likes

We did a webinar a few months back that may help you get started if you want to try out Fusion 360. I work for Autodesk on the Fusion 360 team and happy to answer any questions you may have to get started.

BTW - there is a Sketchup importer :slight_smile:

6 Likes