Castle Dice Tower (with elevator)

I am really geeked about this design, and frankly might be addicted to pulling the handle and just rolling the dice.

It went from a request from a friend to design it, to a drive to figure out the best mechanics, many many prototypes, and the final awesome dice rolling work of art.

(Some prototypes)

gifmov

For the spiral at the top I watched a YouTube video on how to make one in illustrator which was a great tutorial.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did creating it.

50 Likes

Very clever, I like your thinking!

6 Likes

I was thinking about making a castle dice tower forever but yours puts my idea to shame lol. Great work

7 Likes

That looks like it was a blast to create, nice!

8 Likes

I’m excited to print this for my grandchildren! It keeps me being the ‘cool Mimi’! Thanks!!

7 Likes

This is amazing, I love the moving parts and the work that went into the design!

6 Likes

You can be proud of that work! That should do well for you! :star_struck:

4 Likes

This is awesome. I don’t need a dice tower, but I still kind of want to play with this one.

9 Likes

Awesome!

5 Likes

That neat! Nice work!

5 Likes

Wow! I am a hobby user and making things for my (adult) children makes me the happiest. This will be perfect for my gaming son. Thank you so much.

6 Likes

What’s all this then?
A dice tower hmm?
A simple dice tower?

….hold my whatever is in my hand….I can fix this!!

Fantastic! :laughing:

6 Likes

Love the operation of this!!!

4 Likes

OMG LOVE! I don’t need a dice tower…but I think I need this dice tower!

3 Likes

Thank you @ptodd @wesleyjames @Pearl @MakerMatthew @dwardio @ChristyM @PrintToLaser @jamely @rvogt @timjedwards wenning08 and sqw!

I am proud of this design. :slight_smile: It was so much fun bringing it from a blank illustrator page, to life.

My only tips are:

1. if you use super glue, keep rotating the pegs to make sure they glue the caps on, but don’t glue to the drawer or the elbow hinge. This is partially why I wait until the very end to glue the cap on the opposite side of the hinge.
  2. if you use heavy metal dice it unfortunately dings up the proofgrade slide :slight_smile:

This is the video I used to learn how to make the spiraling shape. :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Q6BfuWWjU

7 Likes

Thank you @deirdrebeth !!! :slight_smile:
You don’t think you need one until you have one, then you wonder how you rolled dice before having one. :smiley: It is so satisfying.

8 Likes

Great use of a 4 bar mechanism. I also don’t need one but kind of want one now lol

7 Likes

Very fun tower design, nice to see innovation.

Yeah sharp metal dice are rough on whatever they hit. A layer of cork or leather helps here:

And the last few pics of this one:

If you use rubber cement it’s easy to remove the liner and replace it if it gets worn out.

2 Likes

Thanks @hansepe
@evansd2 woooh that is cool. I really like the leather patch idea!!! That would be rolling in style.

2 Likes