Colorado 'Forgers: Colorado Plastics Monthly Remnant Sales

Hey friends in Colorado, Colorado Plastics (which is practically in my back yard) has a half-price remnant sale every 4th Friday of the month, and they carry a lot of laserable goods. Here’s the info from the website:

"Monthly 4th Friday Half-Price Plastic Remnant Sale

"Every month, on the fourth Friday of the month, Colorado Plastic Products puts all of its remnant and scrap plastic on sale for half-price. This sale includes machinable plastic like ABS, acetal, Delrin, HDPE, nylon, PTFE, polypropylene, Teflon, Ultem and UHMW. It also includes see-through sheet plastics like acrylic, Lexan, Lucite, PET-G, Pleixglas, polycarbonate, and Vivak.

“We waive the minimum order amount of $25 for this sale too.”

Maybe the first CO-GFUG meeting could begin with a field trip to get plastics and then snacks at either the gastropub down the street or my digs.

19 Likes

Wishing I lived nearby to take advantage of the sale and the meetup!

1 Like

I wish! Have fun pickin’!

1 Like

@dwardio and I have met a few times there.

When they get too much of a material, they go to 75% off. The Delrin bins (white and black) were in the last two months at 75%. Picked up some 4 foot lengths 2.5x2.5 inch Delrin for $5 (they don’t have the blocks any more) that I can resaw down to 1/4 in or less and make available.

After Kòptis became a reality, my wife went down with me last month and got to experience the selection of raw material. She even found some green granite freckled acrylic to try @Jules acrylic sump bowl (BTW @Jules could I get an SVG of that).

The Colo-Glowster in Lyons would enjoy getting to experience that too.

It would be fun to meet those in the Denver-Boulder metro area. So far, I have not determined who the other 2 (on the Glowforge map) are in FoCo.

4 Likes

REALLY wish there was a good place to get plastic remnants here in MD. At least I have not been able to find anything comparable in my searches.

1 Like

Excellent idea, Morgan!

Btw, I’m betting that the sales for November & December will be on the third Friday of these months. They adjusted the dates last year to avoid Black Friday and the last Friday before Christmas.

4 Likes

Great idea Morgan!

1 Like

Brass tacks time. 4th Friday sale is this week… Plastics & pints, anyone? It’s a dilemma, though. Better selection before beer-thirty. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m in! Plastics well before pints, though, definitely. It’s not like they’re going to run out of beer.

2 Likes

You beat me to the posting heads up.

Kòptis has enjoyed the diet of local grown acrylic. Time for his refill.

2 Likes

Time frame?

1 Like

I am surprised how busy it is at opening, but there is potential decrease of usable/desirable choices.

I took my wife down last time (and got there like 15 minutes after they opened) and there was 8 to 10 people looking through everything.

BTW, Does anyone going to this Friday want some 1/16", 1/8", 3/16" and/or 1/4" Delrin to try out? I got my bandsaw resaw blade in 2 weeks ago and can cut some 2 3/8" x 10" strips to test on GF :glowforge: .

Still need to get a riser block to resaw anything taller than 6".

3 Likes

Unfortunately I have my annual wellness check up scheduled for Friday morning. :face_with_thermometer:

The weather is supposed to turn Thursday I think, so you all be careful out there!

Hmm. I was thinking of arriving when they open for the best choices. I could pick some things up for you, @PrintToLaser. I would totally take you up on your offer, @PFI-Guy. My Pro should arrive sometime in the next three weeks.

1 Like

Thank you Morgan, that’s very kind, but I don’t know enough about plastics to know what I’d want. I already have a pretty healthy stack of acrylic stashed. :wink:

Frankly, getting to meet my fellow Colo-forgers was more alluring than the potential savings on some material. I may feel differently when I see what you all make with your haul.

3 Likes

I’d be up to just meet up in the afternoon–I’ve been looking forward to that for, oh, about 2 years. When would your appointment let you get to Louisville?

I’ll Message you :grinning:

1 Like

This week had been a disaster at work, so getting to meet folks would be a wonderful change of pace… I’m more than ready to bail early on Friday afternoon if y’all are getting together.

2 Likes

If I didn’t have to be back in NoCo for an afternoon friend’s wedding, I would be joining @dwardio, @PrintToLaser and @morganstanfield for a FAC.

I did cut (need a bit more practice for smoothness) some 1/8" Delrin from Colorado Plastics. I could drop it off at @dwardio 's house if you would like to take it to your afternoon meetup.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to do that, but will be leaving for work in Boulder pretty early – 0700 or so.