Curved box, no living hinges

I’ve been wanting to try out the curved wood concept that @designvh619 recently posted about. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out:

I designed the box with straight sides in boxes.py, then used the Arc effect in Illustrator to arc the sides.

I had actually intended to cut the tabs extra long so I could sand them flush, but the only 1/8“ wood I have here is finished Proofgrade. So I went with the normal tabs.

The inlay was a bear to pound into place. My kerf adjustment a little too tight I think. Looks pretty nice though. The top handle is a combination of red ceramic bead, blue howlite, and a 15/0 metallic seed bead. There is a pocket engraved on the lid fitting piece to hold the wire that holds the beads.

51 Likes

That is seriously amazing! I have been so consumed by the farm I have yet to make anything other than that Sunflower Bowl. I reeeeeeaaaaallllllly Love this!

4 Likes

Previously in kerf cutting:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, kerf cutting! How could I forget? I must have seen that box since I clicked Like on it, but it did somehow slip my mind. Really like the way you did the tight corners.

4 Likes

Wow!!! It’s gorgeous!!!

3 Likes

Oh in no way do I mean to detract from your project (or @designvh619’s!) , I think it’s great. I was just crosslinking to some related discussion. @rbtdanforth did a lot in this area too.

6 Likes

I really need to go back to some of the posts that happened before I joined. That box is really amazing!!! What other gold is waiting for me to discover?!

6 Likes

That is really beautiful.

2 Likes

I really like the way you did the tabs. Looks like a part of the design instead of a box made on a laser. Very classy looking.

2 Likes

Search for the necrogame tag:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%23necrogame

And while you’re at it, go necrogame some of your favorites :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK that is cool. I really need to spend more time on here.

2 Likes

You can use a forum feature to produce a list of the most popular topics:

1 Like

“… instead of grooves I made a living hinge design that just did not go all the way through…”

That looks fantastic. Great arc’d design.

2 Likes

That box is beautiful!

2 Likes

Beautiful! Do you have a favorite bead source? I’ve got a bunch, but sometimes people have something unique and different.

2 Likes

Here’s a few I bought from at the Tucson bead shows that also do mail order:

Whimbeads.com

Fusionbeads.com (just announced they are closing :sweat: but check out their close outs)
Gardenofbeadin.com

I haven’t bought a huge amount from any of them but they all had a nice selection. I mostly get seed beads.

I’d like to see your beaded stuff!

1 Like

That is beautiful!

1 Like

wow i really love this idea . nicely done

3 Likes