Cutting Out the Bottom of Your Glowforge

mod

There is also this option. To move the object getting zapped and not the GF.

https://www.lightobject.com/Power-Z-Table-Bed-Kit-for-K40-Small-Laser-Machine-P722.aspx

perhaps this desk under the glowforge on a slightly larger desk/shelf. :slight_smile:

Sorry! I missed that you asked a question. You can make the hole wider if you don’t care to re-attach the bottom with screws, you can make the hole wider and more rectangular. You’d still be able to set the plate with bottom piece attached into the hole and let gravity hold it in. I may cut mine bigger, in fact. You can’t cut too much taller, though, because of the metal plate below the hole. It carries wiring from the right side of the machine to the left. If you re-routed it, though…

That’s a great one! I’ve been mostly cutting small stuff, so desk-level or propped up on a few boards has been sufficient, but I’d really like to get a cheap adjustable desk and customize it for cutting. I’d cut a hole in it, then use the cutout as the base for projects with a lower offset on rubber feet, allowing for adjustments of any value in z from the zero location of the laser focus plane.

Did some more water bottles today. These laser up really nice and take like 10 minutes from starting design to finished product in-hand. Make for good gifts. I may even start a little side business with them.

Pictures! I redacted my address / phone number with green boxes. Yes, my machine is pretty dirty. I did some wood projects the other day and haven’t cleaned it out.

How wide is the engrave? I can get about 2" in the Redsail and then need to rotate it. I set the focus on the height of the bottle a half inch off the center line.

I should get a rotary attachment or build one but I don’t do much that needs it to make the $500 worth it.

That looks nice! I have been successful with about 30 degrees without too much warping, then need to rotate. On this water bottle, the content was only about 1" of arc length. Ya, I have nearly finished making a rotary tool from a Nema motor and an Arduino. Hopefully I can finish it sometime soon and post a how-to.