Dice Tray Time Redux

Figured Walnut hardwood, Padauk inlay, Cork, dice awesomeness

A gift for friends, who struggle to keep their dice on the table. This is a remake of an older design, you may have seen it here:

The centerpiece of the design is an inlay of the D&D logo in nicely contrasting padauk. It’s always hard to capture how striking this is, the chatoyancy of the padauk makes the inlay really stand out. [1]

I used relatively small fingers, and intentionally left them long so they’d be char-free when I sanded everything down.

I “antiqued” the cork mat with dye to give it some character, then sealed it up with polyurethane.

Click here to see the contrast to untreated cork from the same mat in progress

Here is a portion of the same mat I cut from laid on top of the rolling surface mid-dye job. It’s still wet and is a bit darker than the final result, but you can see how much it changes the look of the mat.

Pretty happy with the overall material choices.

It’s good from all angles. As with any giftworthy project, I took my time and sanded well, finished carefully and doublechecked all my work. Of course I know where all the flaws are, but I’m pretty happy with it.

1. see also Telikos, the inlays in the pommel and crossguard were similarly eye-catching. Walnut and Padauk, always a hit. Wooden two handed Xiphos sword ↩︎

46 Likes

This looks great! What did you use to age cork? I love the hardwood that you use, and your edge sanding technique. It looks classy.

10 Likes

Gorgeous wood!

7 Likes

Outstanding piece of work- it really pays off all the time you take.

6 Likes

I used water based leather dye that I diluted pretty heavily. You could do it with almost anything really… diluted paint would work, as would coffee or kool aid or cola. Any colored water based liquid would do it.

I used model paints on the first one, it’s documented here:

6 Likes

Lovely (of course)!

5 Likes

The cork turned out well and blends nicely with the wood. Beautiful work!

7 Likes

This is beautiful!

4 Likes

Nicely figured Walnut, and the inlay is great! I’m sure your friends will cherish it.

5 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the inlay and finished finger joints.

Did you do multiple layers of wipe-on poly with sanding in between?

4 Likes

Yeah two applications of poly. 1500 grit between.

I find that if I sand the wood very smooth beforehand that 2 is all I need… I sanded the wood to 1000 grit before I got poly anywhere near it.

7 Likes

The inlay speaks for itself. Gorgeous! I always like the finer fingers. Looks so nice.

4 Likes

Another beautiful project post? You’re on a roll!

3 Likes