Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/usernotices/counterfeitResp.html

The droplets containing the virus are 5 microns. The virus itself may be small as are all microbes, but the media that carries it weighs in heavily when deciding which respiratory protection to wear.
If this transmitted through the air (on itā€™s own), well, nice knowing youā€¦

A few thoughtsā€¦ This post is about mask clips, not N95 masks. In my original comment on clip size, I incorrectly referred to N95 masks when I should have said ear loop masks (since corrected). How about steering this discussion back to the actual topic?

Iā€™m not disputing the page on counterfeits (itā€™s quite revealing), but, as best I can tell, the specification of an N95 mask is whatever NIOSH says it is. The page I pointed to is the one linked to as the ā€œdefinitionā€ from multiple places, and it is not a specification at all. As somebody trying to be accurate, that is frustrating.

On the droplet size, that is certainly a good point. I read (I think in the NYT) that virus size was an issue with regard to effectiveness of masks regardless of droplet size. Whatever the full story, we know for a fact that no mask is 100% effective and that healthcare workers have already died when they may well have thought they were fully protected.

Thank you I have some petg but i have tried any in the glowforge yet - assume I can find some details on the settings in beyond the manual, similar to the acrylic?

I am making my own design (loosely based off of the Glowforge design) which I call Princess Clips. Iā€™ll make a post about it and share the design.PrincessClip.pdf (8.5 KB)

6 Likes

I like yours also please send me , the PDF

1 Like

So I did over 200 mask hooks and ear Savers, and is out of Acrylic, I just brought 2 sheets from Glowforge but it takes 10 days to get more where else can we get some ccx with out waiting, I checked Home depot, joanna, Loweā€™s no good.

1 Like

We have added Ear Savers to our website in the UK and have had hundreds of requests from local health care professionals and facilities. We have almost exhausted our Glowforge proof grade acrylic , but have been able to source more from a local supplier. We have not worked with acrylic much in the past, are we ok to print without the masking paper as this is not available on locally sourced material ?

1 Like

Hi all, just a thought and wondering what everyone thinks of this. For the ones Iā€™m donating, Iā€™m scoring ā€œNOT FOR RESALEā€ or similar. Iā€™m concerned with some rogue individual trying to profit off of these donations. Anyone else have similar concerns or am I paranoid?

5 Likes

Hi all! I signed up to make a batch the other dayā€¦ should I have gotten an email confirming it? I havenā€™t heard anything so Iā€™m wondering if my signup didnā€™t go through??
I canā€™t sign up again because I donā€™t have more material than what I tried signing up forā€¦

Not necessarily, it depends on your region and if any requests have come from your region. I signed up and havenā€™t received anything but Iā€™m also taking upon myself to reach out directly to healthcare providers. What we can do is promote this initiative locally in our communities so more healthcare workers are aware of its existence

Thanksā€¦ I had a friend reply right away when I shared it, saying he signed up. If he hasnā€™t heard back, I should just send what I can make directly to him, it seems. But then could I cancel my signup on Glowforgeā€™s site?
Iā€™ll check with my friend who could use them and see if heā€™s had a response yet.

Yes. You might want to put the acrylic on a piece of sacrificial paper or wood underneath so you donā€™t get flashback burns. A lot of us take the top masking off normally when weā€™re cutting or engraving acrylic so we donā€™t have as much weeding to do. You can always wipe or wash off smoke stains if any end up on the top of the material.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply . We were just a little worried whether due to the reflective nature of the clear acrylic it could damage in the laser in anyway ? Taken your advice and added a base paper.

No issue at all. Itā€™s not reflective to the laser beamā€™s wavelength - just to the visible spectrum your eye sees. Shiny stuff isnā€™t usually a problem with common materials except for shiny copper which is almost 97% efficient in reflecting CO2 laser light.

1 Like

Just the information I was looking for. Never was very good at physics :slight_smile: Thank you for the information.

2 Likes

Every single one of the 5 I donated last night snapped :frowning:This is not good!

1 Like

im getting some small flames on my earsaver sheet while its cutting is it better to use custom settings? what can i do differently? using 12 x20 sheet of medium proofgrade acrylic. i paused my print and am going to try it after it cools down

Hi there, proud Glowforge Owner and ICU Nurse here. Only had scraps of acrylic left so I am only able to make a handful for now. Ordered some more acrylic from eBay. These are great and I canā€™t wait to share with my coworkers in the frontline. However, I did modify mine a bit. I heated it up with a blow dryer until I could bend it a bit to fit the curve of the back of my head. Much more comfortable now. I had to shave my head so thereā€™s no hair to cushion the pressure point.
Just want to say thank you to everybody who is contributing to provide my brothers and sisters across the healthcare spectrum with these Ear Savers. When I get more material, Iā€™m hoping to make enough for the entire healthcare staff in our ICU, and hopefully the rest of the hospital.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your hard work.

1 Like