Discussion of the August 2017 update

I agree, great news on the safety regs. The news regarding the shields makes me want to order a filter now so I can take the machine to schools, craft fairs etc.

2 Likes

Captain! Thereā€™s Proofgrade up ahead closing at attack speed!

Shields up! Set Lasers to create!

11 Likes

Iā€™m going to speculate the schedule is something like this:

July: Ramp up US Basic deliveries.
August: Ramp up US Pro deliveries, borrowing production from US Basics
Sept: Ramp up International Basic deliveries, borrowing production from US Basic/Pro units
Oct: Ramp up International Pro deliveries, borrowing production from US Basic/Pro & International Basics.

So if you have a International Basic coming, I suspect September will be a good month for you. Optimistically.

Has anyone calculated roughly what percentage of all crowdfunding orders the spreadsheet represents? Might give us a more accurate picture of the volume currently going out.

Though the ā€œon scheduleā€ news is good I wonā€™t believe it until there is a working unit in my studio, period.

Notable omissions - Acknowledgement of units arriving damaged. International shipping plan. Both of those issues could add significant unanticipated delays.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s why I feel the spreadsheet is a waste of emotional energy: You might get a very rough idea of where you are in order# position, but you have no idea how many people are US or International.

Because thereā€™s a significant time difference between EU and US, you have no idea how many International orders are from the EU in, say, first day orders. Likewise, you have no idea how many International orders are from CA/MX. But regardless, the majority of the first few days of orders could be completely US citizens. So that messes up with any statistics you could hope to glean from the spreadsheet.

7 Likes

Well if it is they never managed to ramp up basic in July. They havenā€™t dispatched a lot of the fist day basic orders yet. They sent a wave of emails out but very few of those have dispatch emails yet.

Yes, well, they did say to allow 6 weeks for delivery. So 7 * 6 being = 42, and this being the 14th of August, Iā€™d also be expecting an increase of exuberant posts from here on.

2 Likes

I am afraid I donā€™t share you optimism. I think towards the end of October they will announce another three month delay. I donā€™t expect to receive anything this year.

4 Likes

Fair enough. Iā€™m not trying to curb your lack of enthusiasm. Iā€™m just trying to opinionate on my interpretation of the differences between Danā€™s Project Manager brain and his social PR brain. Not really trying to sway anyone.

9 Likes

That is your choice to believe, but if that is your decision, why even choose to keep your order?

This habit of taking numbers and mixing it with pessimistic perspective isnā€™t help anyone (in addition to it being propagated across multiple threads).

@dan has asked for constructive comments from you (to help improve the product and/or the company), not for propagating innuendo and what many have considered slander or character assault. If you donā€™t trust Dan and the Glowforge company, donā€™t buy the product.

7 Likes

Just my two cents: Iā€™m not quite sure why it seems so strange to many on the forum to have faith in the product (which has been demonstrated to work beautifully, when delivered in good shape) and not have much faith in the communication of timelines and perhaps the current state of completion of advertised capabilities (which have been demonstrated to be what I would consider overly optimistic and not overly transparent).

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been using it just as a checkā€¦ Like ā€œOhā€¦ I see they made it out of the first day!ā€ and eventually Iā€™ll see ā€œOoā€¦ they got to orders made shortly before mine!ā€ My order is near the end of October, itā€™s just nice to see some indication of progress in the shipping, but Iā€™m not basing any guess on delays or what not on that. (Iā€™m in the Iā€™ll probably get my Basic pre-order campaing domestic shipping order before the end of October camp.) I know Flex can produce lots, I also havenā€™t seen enough evidence to make any sort of guess of if they are where they need to be to hit the goals. I donā€™t think anyone outside of the company (Flex, GF, or investors) has the info to make that guess.

4 Likes

I feel like a bowl of petunias hereā€¦

21 Likes

Funny how everyone reads it differently.
Like "No delayā€¦ huzzah!"
And I keep thinking ā€œwhy is it a surprise that they said no delay?ā€ They seem to always wait to the 11th hour to announce a delay and they ALWAYS say that the timeline is unchanged until then. No offense but many of these updates use a lot of words to say nothing at all.

14 Likes

As I see it, thereā€™s two different types of people: Some people like to know details up front and manage their own optimism, feeling more in control if they came to their own conclusion. Some people like to read feel-good statements and have their optimism managed for them, feeling reassured by others.

2 Likes

Oh no, not again.

7 Likes

BEST. RESPONSE.
You are pretty funny.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for this update! This is my first post in the forum. No word of delays=happy me. Iā€™ll keep checking my email like crazy!

6 Likes

No announcements - weā€™ll let you know if that changes.

It was based on our conversation and many others like it with other customers that we developed the Pro Shields to solve this problem.

Yes. Weā€™re working to get 100% of Maltese shipments out by October. Also all the other countries. :wink:

Yes. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m at the factory every week! (And late on posting updates :slight_smile: )

Shipping brutalizes packaging, but the vast majority of Glowforge units are working properly - those that donā€™t tend to get over-reported. :slight_smile: Weā€™re still optimizing our packaging, but itā€™s not as bad as it might seem from the forum. Packaging is just one of the half dozen or so quality issues weā€™re running in parallel - for example, we just fixed a problem with reservoir tanks that split and leaked fluid in shipping. It looks like a shipping problem, but was actually a bad ultrasonic weld. Theyā€™re now going through 100% inspection while we work with the supplier to improve them.

All the information in the post applies equally to both international and domestic - I apologize for not making that clear.

We completely reworked the packaging based on feedback from the first shipments - all units from today onward should have the new packaging. I really like it - easier to open and protects the units much better.

@bailey has been working on putting something together with the Pro - Iā€™m excited to share it!

Weā€™ll let folks know when NRTL certification is complete. (If youā€™re chosen for shipping before itā€™s done, you can opt to wait until it is before receiving a unit).

We always notify with a 6 week window, but itā€™s often much less.

Acknowledged! I donā€™t think itā€™s a very well kept secret. :slight_smile:

Welcome!

29 Likes