Edited Today

My first instrument was a full size accordion. Then puberty hit. I rightfully understood that there was zero chance of getting a girlfriend with an accordion. So I switched to oldtime banjo. For some reason it didn’t help.

5 Likes

Or…y’ll could be like me, living in ignorant bliss…never giving any regard at all anymore to unread posts. I’ve missed you, Anna. Or perhaps you’ve missed me.

3 Likes

When I was a kid I remember see a comedian on The Tonight Show (w/ Johnny Carson, that is). One of the comedian’s jokes was “Here’s a sentence that nobody will ever say… ‘That’s the banjo player’s Porsche.’”

I wonder how many of us freely admit that we play music due to the desire to attract another human being. I played trumpet for much of my youth. Still do here and there. And when I was pretty young I took piano lessons, too. But I dropped the piano lessons. Still played here and there though. And then Howard Jones came out with No One Is To Blame. And I had to learn to play it. I was in… 8th, 9th grade maybe? And that’s when I realized that girls really like it if you can play music for them. And I quickly realized that they like it even more when you can play and sing for them. So I’ve played piano ever since. I’m convinced most of my girlfriends and definitely my wife were strongly attracted to my musical abilities.

5 Likes

Must admit, meeting the ‘star’ in person was pretty intriguing. Turns out he’s just another person inside there…but, marrying a musician has brought lots of fun times into our time together. And for our kids, too. There’s just some kind of magical aura about a musician, I think. On the other hand though, my dad wasn’t too keen on me marrying ‘one’. It all worked out well though…50 years worth. I think my dad would have been pleased, after all.

4 Likes

It was definitely a shock to see 180 unread posts, but I see it was not so many. they have been threatening to close posts after a month but that just started recently, so now they are closing all the posts beyond a certain age?

Hello @Rita, is it possible to open selected posts?

banjo is a lot less uncool the older you get. at least if you’re good at it.

but hey, guitar always seems to be at the top of the list. and singing never hurts.

i wish i could play piano. but i’m a one-rhythm-at-a-time kind of guy. which makes singing and playing guitar not the easiest thing, either. unless the guy who wrote the song has the same issue.

4 Likes

Maybe they heard I’m having ankle surgery again and wanted to help me stay busy. :smirk:

7 Likes

This is a banjo and there is a big difference between the banjo and the guitar. The banjo has a round pot and it projects the sound outward and the guitar can get you laid. ~~ Steve Martin

7 Likes

I gave up. Got the count down to a couple hundred and it went back up to 1800. Dismissed topics for the first time ever.

1 Like

I’m just waiting for the script to lock everything down.

1 million unread

2 Likes

Yikes! sorry to hear that! I will be getting shot in knees and back but getting to the surgery is painfully slow. the eyes will be recovered as well but the timing I have no good idea.

May you be able to go out dancing again when they get the ankles right (and left)

1 Like

My Firefox add-ons are the only thing keeping my head above water now.
“Open links in a new tab”> “close tabs to the right” >rinse>repeat.

Damn you anna.robinson, damn you!! :fist:
php

5 Likes

Back to 0. Sheesh.

Silly because it takes away time I might have spent either lasering or participating in the forum instead of just robotically reviewing the “unread” closed topics to make sure I wasn’t really missing something.

2 Likes

I think this whole ‘Anna’ thing is hilarious. For those who have been here a long time…who was that woman who’s automated answering thing kept everyone on the forum having the best time putting hundreds of posts into her mailbox, or whatever. It’s been so long now, I really can’t remember exactly how it worked…but it was a great source of amusement.

7 Likes

I had 4000 unread posts, now it’s 5920… Its gonna be a looong reading.

1 Like

ROFL! You can click on Latest and “New” just look for posts that don’t have rachaelw as the most recent poster. It’s usually just a handful, and they tend to be at the top. After reading them you can dismiss the rest and they don’t show up again. :rofl:

@Xabbess: that was cynzu :grinning:

5 Likes

Now it’s above 10875 unread for me. This is torture! I had hope, but now, all is gone.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll do that :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your message. I will be out of town until April 4th. I will respond to your email when I return.

:joy:

8 Likes

I will call you Banjo … King of the Sea Monkeys!

(Obscure reference cheat link: Banjo - S1 EP7 - Space Ghost Coast to Coast )

2 Likes