I took the crumb tray out. Set the wallet down. And centered the writing engraved in leather. What did I do wrong?
If you take the tray out, you have to prop smaller items up on something to bring it into range. The laser can reach from the tray surface (at about 1.4" from the bottom of the machine floor) to about 1.9" from the bottom. You have to bring the surface that you want to engrave on up into that 1/2" range in order to get the correct placement and focus.
How thick is the wallet? (Measure with calipers.)
If it is under 1/2" you can put it on the tray. (Try unfolding it).
If it’s thicker than 1/2", then you need to prop it up on something that is less than 1.4" tall and then run the Set Focus routine to calculate the difference automatically.
I’m sorry you ran into trouble with your print.
It seems @jules has given you some great advice, thank you for that.
I also suggest checking out a couple of guides that have been created by members of the community. First, a guide to printing without the crumb tray::
As well as the popular sequel:
However, I do want to make sure your Glowforge is performing well.
Could you please do the following?
- Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
- We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
- Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
- When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
- Check the completed print
- Post here the pictures of the Gift of Good Measure
It’s been a while since I’ve heard from you @lisamarton93. I hope it’s because you were able to get your prints to turn out beautifully! I am going to close this thread, however, if you run into any other issues or are still having problems please don’t hesitate to start a new thread or email into us at email@example.com.