Engraved / Etched Shot Glasses

Hey All,

First time engraving/ etching shot glasses and I think they came out perfect! Just sharing some pics/ specs I did for them.

These are squares so they laid nice and flat. They also measured 1 and 3/4 inches. So it was perfect for taking out the crumb tray.

My settings were:
Speed 700
Full Power
340 Lines
.25 Focus Height

They had a foggy layer of glass over the initial engrave, but once I scratched / clean that off, the engraving is perfect and strong. It is even sunken into the glass just like it would do to wood.

45 Likes

Wow, that turned out really nice! I am kind of surprised, I didn’t think it work that well on glass like that, but I have never tried either…

Thanks for sharing!

(One more thing added to my list of things to try…)

6 Likes

Got a product url for the glasses?

1 Like

Jolly Chef off good ol’ amazon

3 Likes

Thanks! After some research of what other people did with their settings on glass, I kinda just mashed them all together. Definitely try it out

2 Likes

Interesting that you defocused the engrave by about .2”. Probably part of why your engrave is so smooth.

2 Likes

It’s the weekend let’s get zesty!

4 Likes

I mean your not fully clean unless you’re zestfully clean.

4 Likes

Used the settings today and they came out perfect… No soap required… Thanks a million

2 Likes

OMG!!! You saved my project. Thanks for the setting advice!

7 Likes

Omg this looks AMAZING!!! I’ve etched glass with my Cricut and the cream but this came out way better than using the cream. I can’t wait to begin using mine to do the same thing.

I’ve done some Shot glasses as well couple of tips I found helped
1: Square Glasses are you best friend when it comes to etching, flattish surface means consistent engraving
2: Painters edging tape is the next best friend, it’ll give the camera something to focus on when it’s setting depth. Also found that it stops the glass from cracking inadvertently.
3: Settings wise I’ve been selecting Medium Clear Acrylic and it seems to work really well :slight_smile:

You can make a jig for tapered glasses to flatten the surface. The angles of the slots are just at a higher gradient so that the top fall through more then the bottom:

I uploaded mine to the free files section: https://community.glowforge.com/t/tapered-shot-glass-jig

5 Likes

What settings did you use to engrave on these glasses? Did you use the Glowforge excel sheet settings? Also, did you use one sheet if cut up wood to keep the cups in place? Or did you stack them? Just getting info for when I decide to do it. Thanks!

Hi GingerBased! Just found your post. I purchased the shot glasses from your link and I am excited to try it out! Per chance did you ever share the jig you created for these shot glasses? Thanks!

1 Like

Absolutely! Here is a link to the shot glass jig :slight_smile:

My husband came home and asked if I could engrave shot glasses. I said theoretically, yes, but I’d never done it before. I used the above settings, and the jig from here:

along with dish soap on the surface, and my first try was a great success.

This isn’t my design, it’s a random quote from a megabundle I got from Creative Fabrica for sending an invite to a friend to join their mailing list.

This photo is after washing off the fuzzy bits.

5 Likes

Has anyone found a good square shot glass like OP used? The product linked is no longer available.

I can find square shot glasses all over Amazon … but if someone has already bought something that worked well in the :glowforge: I’d love a link.

Currently these look like good contenders.

https://smile.amazon.com/RUCKAE-12-Pack-Heavy-Glasses-2-Ounce/dp/B07R22CS8Y

Literally all of your posts are pure genius.

1 Like

Lol, thanks :slight_smile: