Experimenting with Making Printing Plates


This is the result of my first attempt in which I used a Magic Canvas image.


WIP (“work in process” image) to show how I used the waste cut to help register the plates.


Some of the prints that I made along with the used plates.

I etched away the non-printed material out of chipboard.

I tried cutting, but ran into technical issues (see unused plate at lower left). I would like to return to this method, because it’s faster and much less messy. I just need to work out some of the logistical details.


This is the original image from Magic Canvas.

I need to search the forum to see if anyone else has played around with making printing plates.

37 Likes

Nice painting

6 Likes

Nicely done! And yes :slight_smile:

Most people seem to be using the term “block print” on here. There are definitely more out there :slight_smile:

11 Likes

This is fascinating…I love that you did this, and did it so successfully.

9 Likes

Great results!!

9 Likes

Actually, except that you are removing the nonprinting surface instead of adding the printing surfaces, this looks like a colograph as much as a block print, because of the materials. I think in colography, people usually paint a layer of shellac on the cardboard, to help the cardboard survive the ink application. Might be a fun experiment.

@julschauer I’ve cut bookboard, which could be like your chipboard, with speed 150 power 100. Might be a good starting point.

8 Likes

Looks great. Cute astrobear!

5 Likes

It’s so adorable I can bearly take it!

7 Likes

OMG!! Amazing. I need time to look through these all.

4 Likes

I did spray it with poly.

3 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

This looks fabulous!!

2 Likes

Moved to BtM to allow for specific setting discussions.

2 Likes