Experimenting with Making Printing Plates

This is the result of my first attempt in which I used a Magic Canvas image.

WIP (“work in process” image) to show how I used the waste cut to help register the plates.

Some of the prints that I made along with the used plates.

I etched away the non-printed material out of chipboard.

I tried cutting, but ran into technical issues (see unused plate at lower left). I would like to return to this method, because it’s faster and much less messy. I just need to work out some of the logistical details.

This is the original image from Magic Canvas.

I need to search the forum to see if anyone else has played around with making printing plates.

38 Likes

Nice painting

6 Likes

Nicely done! And yes :slight_smile:

Most people seem to be using the term “block print” on here. There are definitely more out there :slight_smile:

12 Likes

This is fascinating…I love that you did this, and did it so successfully.

9 Likes

Great results!!

9 Likes

Actually, except that you are removing the nonprinting surface instead of adding the printing surfaces, this looks like a colograph as much as a block print, because of the materials. I think in colography, people usually paint a layer of shellac on the cardboard, to help the cardboard survive the ink application. Might be a fun experiment.

@julschauer I’ve cut bookboard, which could be like your chipboard, with speed 150 power 100. Might be a good starting point.

8 Likes

Looks great. Cute astrobear!

5 Likes

It’s so adorable I can bearly take it!

8 Likes

OMG!! Amazing. I need time to look through these all.

4 Likes

I did spray it with poly.

3 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

This looks fabulous!!

2 Likes

Moved to BtM to allow for specific setting discussions.

2 Likes

I missed this when it was posted. It’s fantastic! Not sure if you’re still around, but I’m really interested in the printing process and how it impacted the results. Was the “Grunge” look deliberate? I think that really adds to the piece.

I’m hoping to start working through settings for bookboard this week or next. I bought my laser maybe 5 years ago with the intent of cutting bookboard and never did it! I tried once on another Glowforge and it was a disaster, but I am much savvier now!

2 Likes

Hey Christy,

Thanks for your kind words!

No- the grunge wasn’t intentional. Nor was it unintended. I just wanted to see if I could make printing plate is all. I love old prints with imperfect registration. I, myself, haven’t silkscreened anything since the eighties (in high school).

I used the ink I had on hand for gel printing without really considering how how the “plates” and medium were going to interact, hence the paint texture and imperfect coverage (ink pulling away with the plates, etc). I was more concerned with registration and actually creating the series of color blocks. This may not be the most efficient way of making prints, but it sure was fun. Once I realized how poorly the ink took even thought I was very careful, systematic and deliberate in inking and using a brayer, it kind of freed me up play around more.

4 Likes

You have to love a happy accident!

2 Likes