Feathered Octahemioctahedron

Happy birthday! I’m Frosty!

Latest creature, combining a couple of techniques from previous models — interleaving of fingers and traditional edge connectors. 48 faces of two different types, 120 connectors of three different types.

As always there are some fun symmetries that you get as you move around the model, here are some pics.

53 Likes

I find Frosty quite captivating.

14 Likes

I’m incredulous, can’t imagine doing that even by “cheating” with 3D design software.

16 Likes

This Frosty beats Frosty the Snowman by 1000000%! Another great creation!

17 Likes

I can imagine slowly rotating it to watch the patterns interact… nice!

18 Likes

I think it’s simpler than you might imagine :slight_smile:

You could absolutely do something like this, it’s far simpler than your puzzles!

16 Likes

Super cool

9 Likes

I stared at this for far too long, trying to figure out how it all came together.

10 Likes

Maybe this will help? Almost fully assembled.

17 Likes

That is absolutely stunning!

11 Likes

It looks so neat. I love the way the fingers accent the piece!

11 Likes

Thanks! This design was building on one I’d done before, also curiously with octahedral symmetry:

As I said earlier in the OP, I wanted to see what could be done if you mixed interleaved fingers with other types of building techniques. I’m pretty happy with how it came out.

12 Likes

Very nice! Were you going for the ice crystal look, or was that a happy accident?

Clever.

9 Likes

I don’t fully mock them up in 3d, so for something with this many fingers I wasn’t exactly sure how it was going to look. I knew about the hidden hexagonal symmetry so it was always possible, but it wasn’t fully intentional. I could probably tweak the design to make it very snowflakey, but I already got what I wanted out of Frosty here, so it’s probably onto something else.

10 Likes

I feel like I have been working with pipe cleaners and popcicle sticks.

10 Likes

Nice!

8 Likes

It’s as easy as… taking your first step! :musical_note: Put one foot in front of the other… :musical_note:

11 Likes

A snowflake variant would probably do very well in the Glowforge catalog. :wink:

11 Likes

And so you should be! That is absolutely gorgeous! Way, way above my paygrade, but it looks so cool!

5 Likes

That does help. Thanks!

4 Likes