File design on a tablet?

I have always made my own files using inkscape on my laptop. I know its not the best program but ive learned its quirks and its all i know. Its free and it works for me… until now. I find myself in the situation where i have less and less time to sit down on my computer but i do have the opportunity to take moments out of the day to design files on a tablet. My question is, what programs do you all use on your tablets and why? Also, ive never been much of an apple brand guy but if need be, ill give it a go. Convince me please on which tablet and program to buy. Thanks!

1 Like

Sure we could spend a bunch of time “convincing” you… oooor you could search the forum and see this topic has been discussed before! Fast and easy but the forum search is sometimes tricky (gotta know just what word to use)

2 Likes

In fact here’s the search for “tablet software”, there are some other threads:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Tablet%20software

Including this one which seems just what you’re looking for:

1 Like

Yes, i know how to use the search function. Do you use inkscape? On a tablet? What do you use and why do you like it the best? I can search multiple forums pieceing together answers or i can ask my exact question and hope to get replies pertaining to my specific question. I appreciate all replies and the time given to make them. Some answers are more helpful than others. I’d like to hear from tablet users, devices and programs used, and why you like/dislike your choice. Bonus if youre familiar with inkscape.

When your exact question has already been answered, it is a waste of people’s time to type out their answer again. Perhaps spend more than 10 minutes reading here in the forum and you might get answers.

3 Likes

Googling “does inkscape work on a tablet” yields your answer in 0.4 seconds. The answer is no.

You could have also looked at inkscape’s website, it’s not available for any platforms other than windows, linux and mac.

And those threads I mentioned are exactly what you’re asking for: people talking about their software of choice on tablets. There’s no “pieceing” it together to be done, it’s right there for you, and I served it to you on a plate. Not sure what else you need.

4 Likes

Inkscape is a bonus. Im willing to use others. What do you use and why?

I use inkscape. Tablet won’t do it for me.

Sounds like the path of least resistance for you is one of the Surface tablets since they’re just small real computers that run Windows (and therefore Inkscape). That said, and I have a few Surface products that I love, I think the iPad with Pencil 2 is a much better portable design experience. iPad won’t run Inkscape but there are lots of users here using other inexpensive design apps successfully.

1 Like

I use Affinity Designer on the iPad for all of my design projects (laser, plasma, cricut-style cutters) and anything else graphic design related. They recently came out with version 2 that has some long requested features, but either version works well for creating cut files. I was looking for a less expensive option and have been very happy with their entire suite of design products.

2 Likes

Although I have both Affinity Designer for iPad and Illustrator for iPad, I prefer Illustrator as it is so similar to the desktop version that I normally use. I just never could get into the way Affinity does things. But a lot of folks really like that program, and it is certainly cheaper.

One of the nice features of Illustrator, if you are into the Adobe ecosystem, is that a design created on iOS can be synced to the desktop and vice versa. I don’t know if that’s true for Affinity Designer as I’ve never looked into it.

3 Likes

You can use the same file on either the iPad or desktop versions of Affinity, you just transfer it via email, external device, or cloud storage. I save to the iCloud by default so I can grab them wherever I’m working I just need to remember to install new fonts on both!

2 Likes

Vectornator is free on iPad (as well as on the Mac) and it’s a pretty solid design program. I haven’t used it much (I normally use Affinity Designer on my Mac) but whenever I’ve used Vectornator I’ve found it very intuitive. I think it’s one of the best options on iPad. (I’ve used AD on the iPad too, but the iPad version of AD takes some getting used to.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.