Flammarion Cutting Board Redux

Back in the Dark Ages of the forum, I posted a photo of a bamboo cutting board I made on an 80W Rabbit laser: Flammarion Engraving Cutting Board

Here’s its big big sister fresh from the Glowforge:

The original JPEG was 300 dpi, this was engraved on bamboo at 1/150/225.

It was unmasked and I haven’t cleaned it yet. The smaller one is ~2 years old and has been through the dishwasher multiple times and freshened with mineral oil occasionally.

No, I don’t cut foods on the engraved side, but I do serve drinks on it from time to time.

UPDATE: Here it is after scrubbing with a little Fast Orange… Smells better, too!

72 Likes

Yah….that’s nice! :sunglasses::+1:

7 Likes

Ohhhhhhh, wonderful!

I was in Aldi’s today and they are selling some very nice Acacia cutting boards with no engraving on them in several sizes, for $10 each. Hmmmmmm…

11 Likes

Wow. Spectacular

4 Likes

So cool!! Was the original black as well, till it wore down to brown over time / throughwashing?

3 Likes

Very nice! How long was the engrave?

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
whispers “it’s…so…beautiful”

7 Likes

It was dark brown and has lightened over time. I’ll scrub the new one and post and update when it’s dry.

6 Likes

45 minutes. The little one was 35 on the Rabbit, so I’m not worried about speed.

7 Likes

I don’t know if its the age or the laser on the old one, but the detail on the one done on the GF is astounding!!

4 Likes

Thanks, just planning out some future work. I was expecting an hour so all good.

3 Likes

Good point – As I recall, the older one was engraved at 300 dpi (SIC, the rabbit driver used dpi instead of lpi), but the GF image is definitely sharper all around.

5 Likes

Wow, LOVE it! As far as images go, this has always been one of my favorites explaining the celestial spheres. I also love the greater detail that can be seen in the bigger image made on the glowforge. :smiley: Thanks for sharing!

Edit: What is this “Fast Orange” you speak of?

4 Likes

It’s a citrus based, pumice containing hand cleaner (more like a lotion than a soap). GoJo makes it and it’s available in big box stores, Amazon, etc in the US.

The pumice is a very fine abrasive so it makes for a nice non-destructive cleaner for laser engraves. The citrus component helps clean laser smuck and leaves a pleasant smell.

14 Likes

Thats amazing!!

1 Like

At any Home Depot they carry it along with their own Zep orange cleaner (same stuff).

2 Likes

Goop is the best citrus hand cleaner for any grease removal

Wow! We don’t do a lot of long, slow, high LPI engravings, so it’s really fun to see them in action.

5 Likes

I am super happy with the results, thanks to you and your team for making this incredible tool!

6 Likes

The detail is amazing! Also, I would probably not put your wooden boards through the dishwasher. I’m surprised the other one has held up so well to doing that.

3 Likes