Glowforge mis-cutting / cutting overlap

I just re-scored the same file, didn’t touch anything. It scored and messed up in the same exact spots. It did sound like it grunted again (or didn’t run as smooth … maybe grinding noise??) when it tried to cut on the extreme right again.

I turned off the machine and gently ran the head from left to right. Here is the video. When I get to the extreme right (19 second mark) it seems to stick or rather I have to apply more pressure. It does not run as smooth.

Here is another shot of doing the same thing. Again runs smooth until about the 10 second mark.

I had a machine I had to return because it would get misaligned when printing on the rightmost 2-3 inches of the bed. I first noticed it in full bed-width designs like yours, which made it seem really random. But when I would do prints where nothing fell into that rightmost area, they’d come out fine. Turned out it was getting wonked up when it printed on the right, and then that affected the whole bed.

That is exactly what is happening to me. I have only been printing within the first 15 inches and everything is coming out fine. I’ll send some pictures later.

You can really feel it when you move the gantry like I posted in the videos above. It feels like it gets tight moving left all the way to right. However if you move it back and forth within the rightmost 2/3, it moves fine.

I have a hypothesis I am going to test later. I am going to print four rows separately. The first will be left to right. The second will be within 15 inches. The third will be within 15 and 20 inches. The last will be another left to right print. My prediction is 1st and 4th will be messed up and 2nd and 3rd will be fine.

1 Like

Here are some of my latest cuts. This cut perfectly. The mess up in the middle was user error. This was within the fist 15 inches.

This was my first test. As predicted, the first row messed up. Started out fine until the extreme right. I canceled it at the end.

This was my second test. As predicted, it cut fine, though alignment is off.

This was my third test. The first cut fine, but on the extreme right it got wonky

This was my fourth test. This cut fine which was a surprise. Alignment still off.

Is there a fix for this? Does something need to be WD40’d? Or cleaned. I don’t see anything in the belts or rails, etc. Other suggestions?

1 Like

Mine was under warranty, so they had me return it. Could be a different scenario if your warranty is up. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Just FWIW, since your first test was off, the alignment is going to be off until you reboot the machine - and that also increases the odds of it trying to extend beyond its boundaries (even though it seems to be doing that anyways).

Long thread and all that. Have you checked the belt tensions?

Can you turn off the Glowforge, turn it back on, and then take a picture of where the head parks itself from an angle where we can see it fairly well (kind of a top down)?

1 Like

Here is where the head parks itself:

Here is another cut today. This is only within the first 12 inches and everything is as it should. Perfect cuts, perfect alignment.

I think I might check the tensions of the belts and also maybe try removing the laser carriage plate as discussed here banding-resolution-lines-not-matching-up. Seems people experiencing similar issues resolved by tightening the belts. Though if the head is “sticky” towards the right I would think the belt would be too tight, not too loose. If so, that would be strange for a belt to tighten overtime instead of loosening.

I doubt this has anything to do with my issues, but I saw in another post and they didn’t have the tape on. Should the tape be removed? Are they just dimming the lights on the side of the camera? When unboxing the Glowforge it did not mention anything about the tape.

Those are lights. They used to be used during calibration. Not sure they are even used now, I haven’t noticed. Either way, the tape is not supposed to be there.

2 Likes

That tape is definitely odd!

Also - looking at your photos it looks like there’s a lot of residue buildup on your tube and front edge of the crumb tray. When was the last time you deep cleaned your GF?
A similar amount of buildup on the belts and rails might be causing your shifts.

I apologize for the delay in response! I wanted to make sure that we reviewed all of this amazing information you provided, as well as the videos you recorded and posted to the forums.

After extracting the logs from your Glowforge to review the prints you experienced trouble with, and taking a look at the images of the results you provided, you’ll need to replace the Pulley Assembly on the right side, underneath the Laser Arm.

You referenced this snag in the video you provided, right at the 10 second mark. You can see your Printer Head adjust incorrectly to the right, due to the pulley assembly slipping on the right side. In combination with this video, the images you provided, and all of your great tests, we were able to narrow the trouble down to this.

I’ll reach out directly via email to work on the next steps for the replacement pulley assembly. I’ll now close this thread.