Glowforge sucks

And if you are cutting regular vinyl on your glowforge which is one of the main material most folks use in their cricuit, then you have likely killed it, and your own lungs while you were at it.

4 Likes

That’s not what I said. What I said was my Cricut can cut the same materials as the GF. It can cut thin sheets of wood, etc.

That’s your only problem with your Glowforge?

I have a Cricut too. My Glowforge can do infinitely more and better stuff than my Cricut can. You really should work through the “first prints” tutorials, at least, before you make this sort of comment. And maybe browse the forum a little. It sounds like you’ve overlooked a LOT of information on what your GF can do.

14 Likes

I’ve had issues as well every since they shut their app for iPhone down I’ve found extremely difficult to send my projects to my glowforge account catalog and when I’m able to get my projects sent over it changes the size of my project.

That being said I have a glowforge pro for sale

I think that has to do with the export settings. If you would say what software you are using someone familiar with it can help you!

2 Likes

I was using Box-o-matic the last reply I got from glowforge support was to download Inkscape but I couldn’t find that app

If you are only using mobile devices, Inkscape won’t help you. It’s a desktop app.

4 Likes

It’s a free, powerful vector design app available Here.

I wandered in here a few years ago, completely ignorant of anything CNC or laser-related and this community is the only support I needed. There is a massive amount of information here in the “Tips and Tricks” section. The Matrix you will find there is an indexed list of tutorials and the search function at the top right of every page here is really handy.

Anything you need help with the experienced users can help with.

4 Likes

You may want to start your own thread, you are posting in someone else’s support ticket. If you have an issues you’d like help with then starting your own thread will create a ticket that GF support will assist you with.

4 Likes

I have a friend that is looking for a Pro GF. Let us know how much and where you are located. Consider a new thread…for sale as well.

$4700. And I live in Indiana

Yes, depending on the thickness. If you bought the machine to cut very thin pieces, I’d actually say you should just use the cricut because it doesn’t burn like the GF or a laser would. You’ll get a truer product that way from a non-burning cut.

But can your cricut cut through 1/8" - 1/4" material? Doubtful. And if you’re not cutting 1/8" or 1/4" material or engraving, I don’t see then why you’d buy the GF?

I can pound finish nails into my picture frames with my 5 pound sledgehammer, but the tack hammer is way better at that. Just sayin that the tool should match the job needing to be done.

6 Likes

That’s a video i’d like to see!

1 Like

That’s one of my issues, it states it can cut up to 1/4” but no matter the setting it won’t cut through 1/4” walnut even at 100% power and very slow it just burns it. Very frustrating

I’ve cut a LOT of 1/8" walnut with no issues whatsoever, I have not yet cut 1/4" so I don’t know the settings.

Give that thread a try and use the file / settings on the Walnut. Many times a test cut like that is needed. Thinking back, the only things I’ve cut at 1/4" is poplar and MDF. They both cut fine, but did get crispy a bit.

I’m sorry that you’re running into trouble when trying to cut a material from another vendor. Glowforge Proofgrade material includes several materials available in 1/4" thickness which can cut through reliably when using default settings. You may be able to use Proofgrade settings as a starting point for experimenting with your material.

If you’d like to see the settings we use for a piece of Proofgrade material, here’s how:

1. Open app.glowforge.com
  2. Open a design
  3. Choose the material
  4. Click a step in the left-hand column of steps
  5. Choose Cut, Engrave or Score to determine which setting you’d like to see
  6. Then choose “Manual” and you’ll see the default settings for that operation.

Another excellent resource is our how-to guide about Working With Manual Mode.

Note that materials vary widely, and the settings we use for Proofgrade material might not be safe or effective for a material with a similar name.

Since we can’t support material from other manufacturers, I’ll move this thread to the Beyond the Manual section of our forum as other community members might be able to provide you with advice for the specific material you’re using. Note that advice in this section is unsupported and is not reviewed by Glowforge.

2 Likes

Another vendor? It’s wood, God is the vendor. Oh and good luck getting 1/4” anything from the Glowforge website

Sounds like an upside down lens. think “cup side up”

I have done many projects using 1/4” walnut. I cut it single pass without any problem.

I dont recall the settings off the top of my head but i think it was about 135/full.

The walnut started as 4/4 rough that i resawed and planed to 1/4”.