Half Marathon Medal Holder (Bonus LED sign)

Once again, my aunt put my skills to the test and asked me to create something else other than the signs I made for her the other day. She’s been trying to push herself over the last several years and has started doing half marathons. I took her suggestions, blended it with a previous project, and this is what we came up with:

Relatively simple build. Above the hooks are white acrylic inlays so she’ll be able to write the dates of her races. Here are a couple more pictures of the way the hooks are designed:

They slide through the front and hook behind the first sheet, and nearly into a slot that’s cut from the back sheet.

For the key hanger I designed before, the hooks are double layered, which I chose to do again, but I wanted a better alignment than I had before. I used super glue to weld the pieces together, but they would slid a bit and getting them perfectly aligned took a little bit of work. This time I did braces that went between the two hook pieces and now they line up perfectly. I also enjoyed the additional visuals it added to the overall piece.

She also requested that I make her a fancy LED light, and who am I to say no?

The word “Keiki” is the hawaiian word for child. She wanted me to add her kid’s names underneath that, and I was given creative liberty for the rest. Figured a heart would suffice, added score lines for that visual flare, and then also added a nice wooden spacer for the base.

She just got on her plane to go home, but it was fun while it lasted. She gave me interesting challenges which I had a lot of fun making. Hopefully she keeps coming up with stuff, because the rest of my family doesn’t ask me anything (blessing and a curse I guess :sweat_smile:).

39 Likes

Hmm, seems to be a photo missing. Can’t wait to see it, though.

Yeah, I hadn’t meant to press send when I did! Apparently Ctrl+Enter is a hotkey for send, oops!

2 Likes

Your aunt is lucky that you are so creative and skilled. The medal holder turned out very nice, and the fancy LED light is brilliant.

5 Likes

You are so talented! What nice things to make for your aunt. Please give her a virtual hug from me–may she always be so vital.

5 Likes

That is awesome! She must be a special aunt!!..and lucky to have you!

3 Likes

I may have made her some fun stuff, but she made us delicious food, so I’d say we’re all lucky!

6 Likes

Great job, they look great.

4 Likes

Great stuff! It is lovely to make gifts for loved ones to order. The medal rack is a nice. IMine are all hangin on yy door knob. You have provided great inspiration!

5 Likes

It’s always nice to have a muse! Where are the medals?

2 Likes

A couple thousand miles away, since she was just visiting, she hadn’t brought them with her :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very nice indeed! I am sure she loved the LED light!

3 Likes

Nice stuff! Its cool when someone challenges you, you both win!

2 Likes

These are cool as well as your signs, you have great design skills.

3 Likes

The way that medal holder works with the hooks is genius! I think we should see this in the catalog…

4 Likes

Love the base on the LED light with the family name … and, of course, a heart is perfect!

2 Likes

I jokingly asked her if she wanted something cheesy like a heart, knowing she would say yes. I actually like the design so much that I’ll probably start offering to do similar ones for other people :grin:

1 Like

Very nice! I was a little worried based on the first photo about the strength of the hook but then I saw they were layered in. Great design!

2 Likes

Yeah gotta double up! Just figured it would be far more sturdy. Looks good with the second layer, makes for a thicker looking wood, I think :grin:

1 Like

Can you share the plans?