How do I switch to metric in the GUI?

I’ve tried every menu, but just can’t find it, I know it must be there somewhere! How do I get metric units in the GUI? I have no clue what inches mean.

Thanks!

Sorry, you aren’t going to find it as it’s not there. There has been lots of discussion about it though. Dan advised it’s in the works.

3 Likes

You can design in metric, but the display is only in inches at the current time. The interface will handle metric designs just fine. But the material thickness for Unknown Materials has to be entered in inches. (Most of us just use a digital calipers so it’s easy to switch the output to inches.)

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s not the thickness that was the problem. I was having scaling issues getting a size correct. As everything I draw is in mm, it’s really difficult to check if the size is correct when the display is in inches.

I’ll learn to be patient. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

On that question…

Does the GF cut to the inside or the outside of the drawn line? Which side do I allow for kerf?

Currently, the Glowforge always cuts right on the line removing one half of the kerf from either side.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I don’t know the scale of your designs, but you might want to print out a simple conversion chart to keep nearby. (1 inch = 25.4 mm)

5 Likes

If you make a set of these you will always have an instant conversion either way

!Two sticks to rule the world

Nice idea!

Thanks for the answer @kittski, that’s right!

I’m going to close this thread. If you have any other questions, feel free to start a new topic.

1 Like