Laser etching Microsoft Surface laptop

Generated the graphics using inkscape and etched a Surface laptop. I like the outcome a lot :slight_smile:

45 Likes

Huh, that’s clean. Nice. Engraved or scored? How long did the job take?

4 Likes

Very elegant! I like it.

4 Likes

Mesmerizing!

4 Likes

This is super clean looking. Looks great

4 Likes

Thanks!

I used manual setting: speed = 1000 and power =50%.

4 Likes

FYI we’re only allowed to discuss non-PG settings in the Beyond the Manual category (per the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers - FNL). You can make a post there and describe your technique/settings and link that back here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

This looks great!! Love the pattern!

2 Likes

Very nice upgrade to the Surface.

2 Likes

Very nicely done!

2 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous, I’m a big fan of this particular design and it looks great against the windows badge in the middle.

2 Likes

Very nice indeed!

1 Like

That looks so cool! You’re a braver man than I am…

2 Likes

Love, love, love it! I am too afraid to try engraving on a laptop or phone, so well done!!

1 Like

Very nice alignment. That’s an attractive pattern. Bet you get a lot of notice with that laptop.

I am planning on doing a black Surface Laptop 3. Since the Surface Laptop is slanted, did you use a wedge to level it?

1 Like

Something like this:

or

or

Lots of ideas :slight_smile: My usual go to is just cramming pieces in there until it looks right :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, I removed the crumbs tray and then used wedges to level the surface to be etched.

Uh yeah. Worked for me forever, but then I realized I could just print those steps. and as long as the top is in the orange zone I’m good. That was easier than the waste proof grade scraps (also I think my wife is getting annoyed at my box of little scraps “but honey I use them”)

2 Likes