Literally spent all weekend making a box

When I got my :glowforge: earlier this year, one of my first big projects was the Star Wars Monopoly board. However, the board took up the entire print area, making a box to put it in was a little tricky. I had been storing it in a box from Uline, and that wasn’t going to cut it. I had tried to be patient for Snapmarks to make my design easier with longer wood, but still no magnet. (Hint, hint) A few times I thought I’d throw caution to the wind and try to manually line things up using the pass through slot, but never got around to it. I pondered the possibility of creating one using multiple sheets interlocked together…

Well, this weekend, I had nothing to do and all the time to do it, so I set off on Friday night on a quest to make a board game box worthy of the board game itself. Using Illustrator, I came up with an interlocking design. I created 2 identical lids, with some draftboard as dividers on the lower half. The external wood was 1/4" Cherry and Hickory from Owyn’s. Did some inlay on the top lid, as well as some interlocking side pieces to get the length I needed for the box. Still have some tweaking to do, and to seal it, but I’m happy with the result. It’s beefy and heavy! Probably my most challenging project to date on the :glowforge:

Final Box: Sealed and corner protectors added-

Just the top:

The bottom:

Everything inside:

The dividers:

Put together, prior to Poly.

95 Likes

That’s amazing work! Such detail!

3 Likes

Yes, yes… I really like that technique! (Good thing you didn’t have the snappies yet.) :wink:
Don’t kill me.

4 Likes

Beautiful box. Love the detail and planning.

1 Like

That is amazing. Love all the detail and planning.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

:smile: I was just teasing a little…do not flood the forum. :pleading_face:

3 Likes

Thanks. But if you mean planning as in winging it and hoping for the best, then yes, planning.

8 Likes

That’s 87% of my planning, give or take 5%.

6 Likes

He was x-winging it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Wow!

2 Likes

Wow! So sweet!

1 Like

That’s incredible! Not surprising after the Monopoly set itself, I guess. This is clearly one of your superpowers.

4 Likes

Wow, Very cool all around. I know it’s most likely not part of the box project but I love the Bank.

1 Like

Stunning, really like how you extended the box length with interlocking pieces. They really add to the design!

1 Like

Like the board itself… Amazing work!
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again… It’s not about the tools; it’s about the person using the tool!

6 Likes

Thanks! The bankers tray design is posted here!

3 Likes

Outstanding! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Incredibly beautiful work on that!

1 Like