When I got my earlier this year, one of my first big projects was the Star Wars Monopoly board. However, the board took up the entire print area, making a box to put it in was a little tricky. I had been storing it in a box from Uline, and that wasn’t going to cut it. I had tried to be patient for Snapmarks to make my design easier with longer wood, but still no magnet. (Hint, hint) A few times I thought I’d throw caution to the wind and try to manually line things up using the pass through slot, but never got around to it. I pondered the possibility of creating one using multiple sheets interlocked together…
Well, this weekend, I had nothing to do and all the time to do it, so I set off on Friday night on a quest to make a board game box worthy of the board game itself. Using Illustrator, I came up with an interlocking design. I created 2 identical lids, with some draftboard as dividers on the lower half. The external wood was 1/4" Cherry and Hickory from Owyn’s. Did some inlay on the top lid, as well as some interlocking side pieces to get the length I needed for the box. Still have some tweaking to do, and to seal it, but I’m happy with the result. It’s beefy and heavy! Probably my most challenging project to date on the
Final Box: Sealed and corner protectors added-
Just the top:
Put together, prior to Poly.