Mini Gumball Machine (with a small mason jar)

Inspired by @ellencadwell over here:

I successfully created a mini gumball machine using a 10oz mason jar!

The 10oz jar is cute, but definitely looks small. I will have to look for some different jars to try also!

(Made out of 0.125" Walnut Plywood, it is press-fit together, but I would probably glue it before giving it to the children.)

[Edited: add additional photos]

51 Likes

This looks great! I love the 10 oz. jar; it’s so cute.

Is there something in the base that locks the jar lid down, or is it just jammed in there?

6 Likes

My plan was to glue the lid in, but currently it such I tight fit that it is holding without glue. At first I thought it was just too small and the lid wouldn’t fit, but I was able to tap it in.

11 Likes

I love this, it’s so cute! My kids would love this.

8 Likes

Very nice, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Any pix of the innards? I bet they were fun to design!

5 Likes

This is super cool

3 Likes

This is so cute! I love it!

4 Likes

You can get a better idea of the innards from the original, over here:

There are a few pics of the insides.

And this includes a model of the internal gear mechanism:

9 Likes

Very nice. Thanks!

3 Likes

Cool design!

5 Likes

Totally awesome!

4 Likes

Delightful!!! I love it!

4 Likes

Some updated photos:

[Edit: added these photos to the original post]

17 Likes

Clever use of upside down jar. Very cool.

12 Likes

I cannot take credit. It was a suggestion by @ellencadwell !

6 Likes

This very cool project just keeps getting better and better!

6 Likes

I am attempting to make one of these out of medium clear acrylic. It is thinner than the medium plywood or draftboard, so it is requiring glue.

Once it is dry and working, I will post more pictures.

5 Likes

I tried it with smaller candies (Skittles) and it works, just not as well I would like.

The acrylic version was a pain to assemble, but the mechanism is so smooth in acrylic. I might try a combination version with acrylic on the inside and plywood for the encasement.

17 Likes

This is so clever! I like both the wood version and the acrylic version. Using the mason jars was great as they are so readily available. I hope it makes it to the catalog - I will be looking for it! Thank you for sharing your pictures.

6 Likes

I just submitted it. Had a few revisions to it. I wanted to make sure it was just right.

The instructions took a while and had several revisions also. Hopefully it will be available in the coming weeks.

6 Likes