Miniature book you can read!

Always been a fan of miniature books (or books in general, and miniatures in general).

I think I fell in love one vacation in Italy in the late ’60’s and agonizing about my (sparse) souvenir money and how best to spend it. When I stumbled on one of these, that was it.

antique-souvenir-miniature-picture_1_12cc5cc166f9c14aeaa47b5e60fe77c0

They usually held a strip of tightly folded up mini photo cards of whatever tourist spot you were in. The next few years, I would collect those with a passion. In school I would not only write my own short stories, but attempt to make it into a mini booklet, with small handwriting and stitching. In the ’70’s my mini booklets would be a little bigger, but I remember picking up a few no bigger than 3” - with gold edges no less!

In mid 2000 I found Paperminis, and I made a whole library load full of books - in a room box the size of a shoe box - most of which have pages with text and pictures.

libraryfull

So it should come as now surprise I’ve been plotting how to accomplish making miniature books with the Glowforge since I bought mine more than two years ago now. I have some mobility limitations so sewing paper spine or leather was out.

First I worked on this notebook with a living hinge, that was a start.

Then covering a block with engraved leather looks ok too, but no readable pages.

Finally, I had not one, but two lightbulb moments…

Engraving on double sided cardstock to reveal the white.

Secondly, I thought of Levenger’s Circa system which I’ve been a fan of for years. What if I can design my own rings?

So came a lot of testing of rings, of card stock, of leather…

I had the most difficulty with the gold paint on leather. It kept leaking out. I finally used blue scotch painters tape with much better results. I picked the story of The Princess on the Pea, because I love a good fairy tale, and it was short.

To top it off, I added a wooden cover design to protect the booklet. Through a trade with @ElsieH , she did a mother-of-pearl inlay for me that looks stunning. Thanks, @ElsieH !

My dream of being able to create a miniature booklet you can read and turn the pages - all made on the Glowforge - has finally been realized!

Darn, forgot the quarter pic… the pages are 3" high.

54 Likes

Love it! Anything else you come up with that you want me to inlay for you, let me know, that was so much fun!

6 Likes

Ohhhh, thanks! Our trade was a lot of fun! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I have been playing with the thought as a box hinge, but that is still in progress.

2 Likes

I love it! Very cute!

2 Likes

Fantastic!

2 Likes

How wonderful! It’s hard to say what i love most about this…

4 Likes

All of this is just way too cool. Fantastic job.

3 Likes

Thanks, @rbtdanforth, @evermorian, @dklgood, @gooddog, @ovm.steve!

2 Likes

Your little projects are some of the things I thought I might be doing with the laser also.

Maybe one of these days I’ll get there. I’ll enjoy your creations until then.

4 Likes

Thanks! Well, you still have a day job that interferes… and that you also enjoy! :rocket:

4 Likes

Nice work there Lady! The detail in that reading room miniature is amazing. The oriental rugs, the brass drawer pulls, the chair nail work…:star_struck:

3 Likes

Thanks, @PrintToLaser! That was another fun project, but pre Glowforge…

1 Like

I think I recall you had posted it a while ago, it’s just as awesome as the first time I saw it. I think I see more detail everywhere I look!

1 Like

YOU are amazing…and your miniatures are amazing. Great job!

4 Likes

Thanks, @Xabbess! I just love finding ways to use my Glowforge.

3 Likes

These are so fun! Who doesn’t love a good book! Love your library. I could just sit in the chair and read all day.

1 Like

Oh, very cool and cute! My favorite is the blue one. I’ve tried to do gold on leather and it is not easy.

2 Likes

That is amazing work, and also today I learned that your title is more accurate to the original.

6 Likes

Thanks, @ptodd, it is my favorite of all the room boxes I’ve made too.

1 Like