More Mini Clocks, Craftsman Style

Here I am making mini clocks again. These are going to be used for gift giving for family. I based the design on my taller Craftsman style clock (here and here) but made these shorter because I wanted to use some exotic wood and the original design wouldn’t fit on the piece I had. Once I made a prototype I was so pleased with the outcome that I made them all like this.

Here’s a view of them all:

Left to right:

• Baltic birch painted with black gesso then coated with epoxy resin (to give it a laquered look) except for the front which is maple veneer.

• Proofgrade walnut hardwood with tiny Moroccan ceramic tiles

• Proofgrade maple hardwood with tiny Moroccan ceramic tiles

• Baltic Birch stained with chestnut stain, with tiny Moroccan ceramic tiles (this one was my prototype and I made a few changes after, mainly with the attachment method of the clock holding piece).

• Padauk from Rockler. I left it plain since the wood is so pretty; just sanded and treated with Danish oil finish. (Note @evansd2: this is the Padauk I finally cut into, thanks for the inspiration).

Detail photos of each are below:

48 Likes

Those are inlays next to the clock face right?

3 Likes

Yes, I engraved a pocket to sink the tiles into, and cemented them in place with black 2-part epoxy (Apoxie Sculpt).

5 Likes

Amazing! They look great and the inlay work is fabulous!

2 Likes

Impossible to pick a favorite! (Maybe the maple, I still love the teeny tiles. ) :grinning:

3 Likes

Those are all beautiful…the Padauk especially so!

2 Likes

Outstanding work. Where do you get your movements?

3 Likes

From Schlabaugh and Sons. These ones are the 1 7/16” size.

https://www.schsons.com/woodworking-supplies/clock-fit-ups-1-7-16-to-3-5-diameter/1-7-16-clock-fit-ups-weather-instruments-forstner-bits/

5 Likes

So pretty!

3 Likes

I love these!

3 Likes

they look great. are you sanding that beveled edge leading into the piece with the clock face?

3 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Wow, those are wonderful! How fortunate the recipients.

2 Likes

I’m betting she’s 3D engraving it!

2 Likes

I 3D engraved it, but then sanded off the char.

4 Likes

They look amazing! Could see them laying around any house! Well done!

2 Likes

Love them all. Thanks for sharing the pictures and write up. The beauty of the Padauk and clean lines especially speak to me.

3 Likes

Lovely! The inlaid tiles look fantastic!

3 Likes

They’re so beautiful! Had mentioned your use of the tiny tiles to someone just a couple of days ago. It’s great to see them in use again. They are so fun!

3 Likes

These are each so wonderful! Now I suddenly want to collect miniature clock reproductions.

2 Likes