My 35mm Film Pinhole Camera (For Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day 2022)

I LOVE everything about this. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you @dklgood! And cheers for always tuning in!

Thanks, @rvogt! It means a lot to me.

It looks so good! Much better looking, and more fun looking, than a purchased one! It’s neat and sleek. Great job, and great write-up! Keep on sharing your cameras, we like them!

1 Like

Thank you :pray: @trually !

1 Like

Thank you, @ellencadwell!

You are too kind!

1 Like

It just looks so very cool, especially with the leather straps!

1 Like

So cool!
I love the one with your daughter!

1 Like

The clarity difference on the smaller frame size is very striking. But then I love the aesthetic of it.

1 Like

Your explanation was more detailed and took longer to read than the entire design process for most of my simple projects. Quite an effort.

4 Likes

Gotta have the leather!

1 Like

Thank you @marthajackson1970 ! Here is another!

This one is spookier - a character that the hand held nature of a pinhole at this negative size seems to lean towards. Each camera has its own nature and a corresponding image it wants me to take. This is the appeal of handmade cameras for me.

3 Likes

Indeed, you’ve hit upon it. Because we are looking at the resulting images at more or less the same size, the dimension of the original negative directly impacts the character of the picture. The agent you are using to look at the picture factors in as well. Imagine these pictures on your phone on Instagram. They’ll be different than if you look at them on a 32" monitor. If I blew them up to 3 foot square for a gallery show that would certainly heighten the character of the image making process. I wonder how legible it would be at that size. Perhaps it would be more abstract. But I would not have that issue (or not nearly to the same degree) than if I took a similar picture on my 4x5 pinhole.

Speaking of my 4x5, this is a picture I took last summer.

On a typical monitor this should look very sharp. So the fact that my 35mm film negative is 1/15 the size of 4x5, and that I’m hand holding it as opposed to using a tripod, makes for a really janky image - and that’s cool or not depending on what you’re going for. But like I said to @marthajackson1970 , the cameras have an image they want to take, you just have to be on board with the camera, I guess :laughing:.

5 Likes

Hi @rpegg !

Alas, I tend to get long winded. Would you believe it was actually much longer and this is the “short” version :rofl:? I’ll try to keep it tighter in the future.

1 Like

Nah, good right up. I was just amazed that anyone had that much patience.

1 Like

Awesome and very much appreciate the extended write up & photos. Very fun project.

2 Likes

Thank you @pubultrastar !

It was a lot of fun to make and use. I do plan to make a draftboard version at some point so everyone can get in on the action.

2 Likes

I am most impressed. Having made quite a few GF projects with relatively complicated mechanical parts, I can well appreciate the work and thought that went into the design of this camera.

1 Like

Wow, thank you, @dehne1 ! I’ve seen your work and how complex many of them are so this means so much. I’m just getting the bare minimum understanding of gears but it’s such a fascinating discipline that I hope to learn more.

I thought I’d add some more shots taken with this camera.

Irises found growing in the Presidio. Handheld shot. Without a tripod the flowers become abstract, and impressionistic. I’m also counting in my head and not using a timer. All of these things are liberating. They’re grungy but I like them because they have life.

A scene from the Famers Market in the Richmond District, SF. Also handheld. The notion of doing “run and gun” shots with a pinhole camera is kind of funny. It’s doing what you’re not supposed to do that makes for interesting images - at least sometimes! Between the foreground couple, I can make out my wife and kids turning around to see what happened to daddy.

3 Likes