New Cube

Some cube farms are better than others. This is my latest addition

It’s 1/4 inch MDF, spay painted in layers of white then black. followed up by a rainbow of different colors (and a secret ingredient).

Once the paint is dry, I laser engrave away the top coats of paint. I ended up taking a lot of the black with it, but I really like it.

Throw in a little glue and some corner braces…

Oh, the secret ingredient? I glow in the dark.

Putting the glow in Glowforge :grinning:

64 Likes

Awesome effect! Definitely mind blowing…

7 Likes

That is incredibly cool. The work you put in really shines through in the finished product.

8 Likes

Brilliant, so creative. :astonished:

5 Likes

I would give you five hearts if I could! Wait I think I can…:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

If you open it will these guys appear?

9 Likes

Very cool rabbit hole you have found there, the multicoat, multicolor method. Engraving through the glow paint was an epiphany, right?
You’re gonna have to cough up a link for that paint man, and… what was in those brownies? Are they gone?

8 Likes

This is awesome

3 Likes

Fantastic idea and execution! Love that glow in the dark!

4 Likes

Oh wow. What an innovative series of treatments! Have you tried it on other substrates?

4 Likes

This looks awesome! Great job!

3 Likes

Oh no @robermar36 … that would be this little lovely I did in acrylic on CNC a couple years ago…

14 Likes

@PrintToLaser The paint I use is a rustolium spray paint which you can usually get from Home Depot or Walmart, as well as Amazon:

Amazon also carries a bunch of brush on acrylic glow in the dark paints. The glowy bits tend to show brush lines, which can be cool, but the spray is a more consistent coat. The one’s I like dry clear, which makes the glow a nice surprise.

The brownies are a secret family recipe. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@ cynd11 This came out of my canvas stuff.

and the fractal boxes:

Those are the things I have tried so far.

5 Likes

There’s always tile and leather. Go to town!

3 Likes

@dan, this one’s a winner!

4 Likes

Cool!

The grandkids love glow-in-the-dark. May have to add to their next item.

2 Likes

This cube was great before it started glowing in the dark! Very cool design!

1 Like

my old inlaws

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes