No-Math Focus Ruler

In the menu at the top of the UI:

Press the “Three dots” and you should see an option for “Set Focus” (FYI, this will cause the head to move in the Glowforge and examine the area marked.)

1 Like

Thank you I have set the focus, but it still didn’t work. I get the dreaded “Material Thickness” error message.

What are you trying to cut? What is the height/width of it?

I am trying to engrave on a shot glass. It is about 4" long and about 1 1/2" in diameter

It’s 1.6 inches around the middle of glass

You might have to put masking tape on the glass, so it can measure it.

Using a caliper it’s 3.85 long, 1.59 middle of glass, 1.62 going across the top of glass, and .21 going across bottom of glass

I am not sure the caliper is working. I am getting different readings. I think I need to call it quits for today before I send something flying across the room. Thanks anyway.

Put a piece of masking tape on the glass and use the set focus tool. Make sure that the red beam lands on the masking tape. The surface to be engraved must be between 1.5" and 2" from the floor of the Glowforge with the honeycomb tray out.

1 Like

I hate to spam in someone else’s thread, but if you are struggling with this tool, you can try mine. It allows you to measure and set the focus height directly:

2 Likes

Hello, I love this easier way of measuring!

I am having a small problem with the file, I downloaded the file, I uploaded to GF UI, however the GF UI says
" Filled shape is open
Filled shapes must have closed paths. Edit your artwork to remove the fill or close the shape".
How can I fix this ?
i tried going into AI and INKSCAPE but I do not know how to fix the issue Glowforge is saying. any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Try dragging the file directly from your download folder onto the interface rather than uploading or opening it in another program.

2 Likes

Thank you, Will try that now :grinning:

1 Like

I was able to drag the file in, however GF UI is still saying the same thing.

1 Like

I just did this without issue. Are you sure there isn’t something else open in the interface?

1 Like

hmmm i will reload the UI but this was the first thing i tried to print in about 3 weeks.

1 Like

I reloaded the UI but no change, I don’t know why its saying it has open paths, so weird. Thank you for your help, I will keep trying to figure it out.

1 Like

Suggest you try a different browser.

I just downloaded it and then up to GF UI, no errors.

1 Like

Yes, there are two open paths in that file – the two green score lines. You’re getting that error by trying to engrave them, which fails on an open path as you’ve discovered.

Here’s the color coding for that file (and 99% of all my files)…
Black: engrave
Green: score
Red: cut

5 Likes

This thing works like a charm, thank you so much for making this and giving it away! Really useful in my shop!

5 Likes